UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Cushings Disease

sproggie14

You may have seen in her various other threads that Loki has all sorts going on at the moment. Tonight she has had yet more blood taken to do some more detailed tests to try and ascertain why her liver enzymes are raised. I did some research on the net over the weekend and cushings was the thing that kept coming up and seemed to make sense. She has, on reflection, quite a few of the symptoms - pot bellied, drinks a lot, eats a lot, wees a lot. Tonight the vet confirmed that that was one of the things they would be looking for.

Everything I've read seems geared towards finding it in old dogs who have been tested because they are ill. Loki is about 4 or 5 (we think) and seems well in herself. So does anyone have any experience of it at all, especially in younger dogs?

The results are back on her foot lump and were a bit inconclusive. No immediately obvious dodginess but nor can they rule it out. We're putting any decisions about that on hold until we know what is happening with her liver.

We had a Chinese Crested Powderpuff ex stud dog that had Cushings. He went into long term foster and lived for a further 3 years. Not sure how old he was when he came in but about 6 I would think.

The meds are very expensive and he had 6 monthly blood tests. At one time we could buy the meds from Boots with a prescription and it was much, much cheaper and then due to a change in the law we had to go back to buying ones produced for animal use.

When he first came in he went to a fosterer who runs a sheltered housing for the elderly. I kept accusing the residents of feeding him too much because he ended up looking like a coffee table. They insisted they weren't and I had to apologise later when he was diagnosed with cushings.

No direct experience but i am a member of a very very supportive and helpful yahoo group for dogs with any autoimmune disease (Dylan is hypotyhroid). I know a lot of the members dogs have Cushings.

Let me know if you want to join and i'll PM you the details :flowers: