UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Max

redditchlady

Thanks Ian, as I said we are at the vets again next week. I want to have explored other possibilities of medication etc before we get wheels.

We, and Vaughn our vet are pretty sure it is CDRM due to the "wobble" and also when you pick up his rear legs one at a time they don't go back properly if that makes sense.

Kazz xx

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Ian, as I said we are at the vets again next week. I want to have explored other possibilities of medication etc before we get wheels.

We, and Vaughn our vet are pretty sure it is CDRM due to the "wobble" and also when you pick up his rear legs one at a time they don't go back properly if that makes sense.

Kazz xx

Know exactly what you mean Kazz :( We have had GSD's with CDRM and that is just how it started.

It is a horrible condition but don't lose hope as some can go on for a while with it before it becomes a severe problem. Our last GSD, from first symptoms to total collapse was nearly two years.

Always consider the wheels, some dogs don't take to them too well but most do and I have known several who have had quite a bit of extra time after getting their wheels and have enjoyed life tremendously :)

:GroupHug: :GroupHug: :GroupHug:

Thank you :flowers:

I am staying positive for Max's sake. We have been really lucky with him really in the 12 1/2 years I have had him, the worst thing was having to have his spleen removed about 3 years ago.

I know this sounds silly, but I want to be able to take Max on longer walks than what I can now. I don't mind taking him seperately, but I feel he is missing out. I would love to be able to take him to the Westie walk again this year, but I know he can't do that now.

As much as I love Korky, Max is my world and always will be. We noticed when we were away in June that Max was whining after just 10 minutes on the beach. I encouraged him to lie by me when I sat down, but he was watching Korky running around and I feel he wanted to be doing that too.

I just wish we could wave a magic wand and make him all better. :wub:

Kazz xx

Don't know if you'd consider it, but could be worth also talking to a Homeopathic/Holistic vet.

http://www.bahvs.com/

http://www.trusthomeopathy.org/trust/tru_over.html

Perhaps also worth looking inot acupuncture etc too.

Thank you for the links Muriel. :flowers: Most of the vets at our surgery don't agree with the homeopathic treatments :rolleyes: However Vaughn, our vet does use that type of treatment sometimes, dependant upon the doglet.

As I say I am taking Max back next week and will print off the info and have a good natter with him and see what he thinks. At the end of the day I don't want to and won't have Max "drugged up to his eyeballs" on painkillers etc.

I would much rather go down the other route and am very grateful for the links. :flowers: I have a few people sending Reiki and it seems to be helping him too. :wub:

Kazz xx

Haven't read the thread fully so please excuse me if it has been mentioned before, but swimming is great for dogs which cannot bear weight very well. I also keep Milly on the lean side so she has less weight to carry on her ickle leggies.

Sending positive thoughts for the gorjuss boy :wub:

Basically my poor lad does have CDRM :(

We are going along the Eddies Wheels route. Max can do very short walks, but is missing out on so much. :(

The wheels Jim has recommended encourage Max to use his rear legs, so he won't lose muscle. Hopefully our lad can go back to chasing balls and running around with Korky again soon. :wub:

Kazz xx

Sorry to hear that Kazz, at least you know for definate now and can start to adjust accordingly :GroupHug:

hope the new wheels help him out :GroupHug:

and that he doesn't run over Korky's feet too :biggrin:

Well no use in getting too upset about it. Max has had a good 12 1/2 years with us.

He has been fit and able most of that time. Jim seems to think he will be fine on the wheels. More mobility will be a bonus. Watch your feet on next year's Westie walk at Weston. :D

Kazz xx

Basically my poor lad does have CDRM :(

Aawh I'm sorry to hear that Kazz. I'd imagine it's a diifcult thing to see despite those 12.5 years.

I've seen features on the wheels but have no experience with them - when you say not lose muscle & chasing balls again I assume he would be reliant on the wheels to do it for the rest of his life?

Aawh I'm sorry to hear that Kazz. I'd imagine it's a diifcult thing to see despite those 12.5 years.

I've seen features on the wheels but have no experience with them - when you say not lose muscle & chasing balls again I assume he would be reliant on the wheels to do it for the rest of his life?

What I mean is Max's back legs will be moving him along as well as the front ones. As he still has some use(ok not as much as we would like) he will be using them so will not get any more muscle wastage if that makes sense.

At the moment I am taking Max out 5 times a day at least for small walks ie 10 to 15 minutes at a time. If he does any longer he flops down and can't manage.

I can't let him lie around the house and only take him once or twice as his muscles will waste away.

I do try to keep the weight off him as much as I can, but Max has always been a large boned boy.

Do a search on google for Eddies Wheels. They are fab. Kathy's Grip had them. Before those Kathy tried others and they didn't work for her.

Kazz xx

At least you know and have a plan of action now. All the best with the wheels.

I used to get my Hannah on her back and do 'bicycles' in the air with her legs to try to help keep some condition in them. I'd do the back ones and then the front ones a little, but her back ones were worst.

I'll keep sending Reiki as long as he wants it. :GroupHug: