UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Max

redditchlady

There is a reason I am up so late tonight.

I have had Max since he was 7 weeks old. :wub:

He is 13 in November. He is struggling on his back end. Laying down and not knowing when he needs to pooh. :( He goes out on walks every day. I am a cruel mummy as I make him. Only short ones but often.

I can not have Max having muscle wastage. If he gets that his days are doomed. :( He has perfect hips. ( He was hip scored at 5 years old )

Today he hasn't been right. I think his back legs are giving up. I need to speak to Vaughn tomorrow (our vet) The last time I spoke to our vet was only a month ago regarding the leaking of urine and Max not feeling when he needs a pooh. (Thank heavens for Supadog Sensitive) Very dry to pick up

But any Reiki that is going spare for Max would be welcome.

Here is a piccy.

max3r.jpg

If we need wheels so be it, but I was hoping not to have to go down that line so soon. Yes I know he is getting on for a GSD, but Max is going to live forever. He has to. I can't lose Max he is my soulmate. :mecry:

Kathy if you read this I may need Jim's number. :flowers:

Kazz xx

Edited by redditchlady

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Max seems much better on his back legs this morning. I think we have to accept the fact that he is getting older. Our vet thought he had the beginnings of CDRM the last time we went about a month ago.

Am resting him today as it is pretty wet here and that won't help him. :wub:

Shall see what today brings Max had some Metacam last night before we settled down. Am hoping yesterday was just an off day.

Kazz xx

He's stunning :biggrin: , and he's taking plenty Reiki :biggrin:

Glad he's feeling better today.

My oldie was the same, messages not getting to her in time to tell her she needed a poo. I had kitchen roll everywhere ready to grab as soon as I saw her tail go up. Hannah had Spondylitis which the vet told me was the reason the message didn't get there. She also leaked.

Denes Greeneaf tablets helped greatly with the leaking, they also help arthritis. Runaround helped her. Don't know if you give him Glucosamine or Green lipped mussel or anything? They can all help. A magnetic collar can help. If you want more info I can post what I did for Hannah again, but you've likely seen it.

Will keep up the Reiki as long as he wants it.

Thanks Muriel. We have Glucosamine at the moment, but it's not helping. When the weather is wet Max is worse. :(

We only use Metacam as needed. I don't like giving too many pills etc. We have CSJ hold it, which has helped a little for the dripping.

Thank you for Max's Reiki, he is a lot happier today and is currently fast asleep on the big dog bed with Mandy and Korky. :wub: I just go into a state of panic when Max isn't right. I am a neurotic Mum sometimes.

Kazz xx

• 2 weeks later...

I've only just seen this thread and am so sorry to read Max has been struggling Kazz.

As far as I'm aware it wasn't CDRM, just old age and arthritis but Sheba, my childhood pal's back legs gradually began to fail her. She would have been a similar age to Max. The first time I saw any evidence of it was when one day she just couldn't walk as far as she would once have done. I remember looking at her & willing her to get up again & indeed she did. Perhaps wasn't as bad as Max, she couldn't over do it any longer.

Eventually she began to struggle to get up after being laid all night & began to mess in the house. Although I wasn't told of this until my Dad mentioned it sometime in the last few years my Mum had apparently called him round (they split up when I was 12) & he'd suggested that maybe her time had come. Despite not really being a dog lover when my Mum took Sheba to the vets they gave her some sort of medication - I'm just sorry I can't tell you what - and Sheba did fight on for another year or more without discomfort so don't lose hope yet :flowers:

I know it's not treatable but even so, if it is CDRM, you could perhaps try getting in touch with German Shepherd Rescue & ask whether Jayne can offer you any helpful advice / experience - one of her own boys, Athis has been battling with it & hasn't been put on wheels.

Good luck to you & Max :GroupHug: