UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Raised Liver Enzymes

sproggie14

Loki is having a few lumps removed today - they're not thought to be anything sinister. Two are definitely just skin tags and one is a small mammary lump which may or may not be iffy but is very small.

We opted to have pre op bloods done and the vet has just called to say that one of her liver enzymes is slightly raised. She didn't think we needed to postpone the op but she wants to put her on a drip to be safe. She'll also give her some anitibiotics in case it's an infection.

Obviously we'll discuss possible causes more with the vets later but I just wondered if anyone had any thoughts? Loki hasn't been quite right recently. She chewed her front leg, which she does sometimes and it went a little iffy. We took her for her jabs and to have that looked at and she has terrible diarrhoea at the vets which is most unlike her. As a result she was given a two week course of antibiotics and didn't get her jabs. The same day we saw blood in her wee but figured the antibiotics would sort that which they seem to have done as there has been no recurrence. Her leg has healed but not as quickly as it normally does. Her tummy has been absolutely fine since. But we have had a niggly feeling that she wasnt quite herself, just nothing we could really put our fingers on.

So, any thoughts as to what might be going on with her and causing her liver enzymes to be raised? She is thought to be around 4-5 years old.

Shes going to be having her op and time now and of course we are extra wibbly now we know her results so please send oodles of healing thoughts her way.

Not sure if it would be the same in dogs but i have Crohns Disease (which dogs can't have) and if i am having a flare up my liver enzymes will be high so i guess it just means that her immune system is fighting something. If you are that worried you could ask your vet to do a more detailed blood analysis as if your vets is anything like mine the bloods they do on premises is just very basic

Thanks guys :flowers:

Reiki much appreciated Ange. She is home safe but definitely a bit sore so I'm sure she will be receptive. It's all attention in her mind anyway :biggrin:

The vet said the enzyme concerned isn't one directly linked to the liver. I assume this means it isn't likely to be the liver itself that has the problem. She thinks it is most likely a tummy bug or something (which ties in with your point about Crohns, celeste). She has antibiotics so hopefully that will sort it out and when she is tested again in a couple of weeks it will all be back to normal :)

I don't mean to worry you but Salada had terrible diarhhea when her liver was malfunctioning, she also developed food intolerances and had a very thickened bowel.

Milk thistle is fantastic for boosting liver function. If you want I have a big pot here I could send you, pm me your address if you want them.

Reiki on the way.

Bach Crab Apple helps the body release toxins, as does Milk Thistle and as said, Milk Thistle is great to help the liver. Homeopathic Arnica 30c, one three times daily for a few days helps recovery after surgery.

How about also talking to a Homeopathic Vet?

I don't mean to worry you but Salada had terrible diarhhea when her liver was malfunctioning, she also developed food intolerances and had a very thickened bowel.

Milk thistle is fantastic for boosting liver function. If you want I have a big pot here I could send you, pm me your address if you want them.

Thank you :flowers: That sounds like it might help lots. Is it something we can get from a health food shop? If so we'll pop out and buy some tomorrow, save stealing yours ;)