UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Blind Foster

Jazz

I have a foster coming today with progressive renal atrophy (sp), she is partially deaf as well.

Have you got a partially deaf/blind dog?

How do you deal with the dog day to day? I know not to move the furniture, but the first introductions, any tips on life with a disabled dog please, shes a retreiver.

Mum has a deaf and blind collie - she uses touch signals to tell her what to do. It has worked fab and she is a very obedient little girl. Shes Raiyes Mum here on the refuge or if you want I could PM you her details for a natter?

Edited by raiye

I have a foster coming today with progressive renal atrophy (sp), she is partially deaf as well.

Have you got a partially deaf/blind dog?

How do you deal with the dog day to day? I know not to move the furniture, but the first introductions, any tips on life with a disabled dog please, shes a retreiver.

It's PRA - Progressive Retinal Atrophy - the retina detatches :flowers:

Ok, well Bumpy is completely blind so when he arrived I let him wander about and 'map' out his space and he does the same when he goes somewhere new. He isn't worried when he bumps into things and as your foster would have gone blind over time, she is used to not having sight.

Try and keep things constant - don't move things, food/water bowls in the same place etc. Her sense of smell could well be better as other senses can compensate.

To be honest, although I worried about Bumpy before he arrived, he just got on with it and made himself at home with no problems :)

Hes names Lissie. Shes definately blind, but her hearing and smell are top notch. She found the pantry straight away lol

I was told she had never gone up stairs, but she was at the top before me! It was fun getting her to come down though. Thats a worry to me. I know she will get used to them, but I kept her in my room last night, in case she went shooting off the top step.

Shes very chatty and waggy though :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...

The best tip i could give you is let them get on with things,

my girl gets treated the same as the other dog's

she does everything the other dogs do, sometimes i watch her and think is she blind,

only thing i do is watch out for is anything that could cause her harm if were out on a walk,

as she go's off lead i just watch were she walking, as she will trip people up,

her water and food are allways put in the same place, but furniture i have moved around before

and she allways knows when its changed and does avoid it,

she plays ball in the house and i found that it helped to develop her other senses more,

as she had to listen for it to bounce and sometimes use her nose to find it,

there are a few forums for blind dog's but i found although they helped, our shrimp

taught me more than i could ever learn from someone else,

and she is still teaching me what blind dogs can do.

• 4 weeks later...

I fostered a blind 9 year old westie most of last year and some of this :wub:

she used to find her way round the house ok but with the occasional bump

when I rehomed her the lovely people who took her previously had a blind dog a few years previously (as well as two older westies currently on the go that they had rescued)

They said thay they were going to spray the table legs/chairs and door frames with orange scent or something else just so Pooch (my special and irreplaceable foster :wub: ) would be able to define the edges in the house with the smell.

apparently they used it last time and had some success with it

not sure if this will be a help to you, may as well give it a try, o, and i am sure the scent (whatever it was) was non toxic as she may well have licked it off the furniture.

• 2 weeks later...

Ive had her all this time, and adopted her :wub:

She still bumps into things, especially when shes excited, and has lost a front tooth, but it didnt stop her eating lol

Shes scared of the stairs, so hasnt gone up them since the first 2 nights, her choice.

Ive got her some baby toys that make a noise that she likes.

The other 2 put up with her bumping onto them.

Shes lovely :wub: