UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Controlling Relationships

Kats inc

This thread brings back unhappy memories :(

To anybody in this sort of situation who has kids I would say if you can't do it for yourself or think you don't deserve any better, think about your children and let them be your motivation to leave. I'm fifty next week and still suffer the consequences because my mother stayed with my stepfather for 8 hellish years. Your children deserve better and you deserve better. Even if you leave the relationship with nothing but the clothes on your back, you'll be much happier in the long run.

The police take these things far more seriously these days. A few years ago a friend of mine's husband attacked her for the first time so she reported him to the police, who were very understanding and actually persuaded her to kick him out. The policeman said that he wouldn't stop at once and next time she might not be alive to tell the tale.

According to Women's Aid : One incident of domestic violence is reported to the police every minute. On average, 2 women a week are killed by a current or former male partner.

• Like 1

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

Another year has gone by! My don't they fly by! I thought of you all on the day, but was silly busy.

Seamus my 10years going on 15 beardie cross is very poorly. He has had a very rough few years health wise, and is now very frail and senile. My days are spent caring for him and protecting him from the younger dogs who find his pacing and vacant moments extremely irritating. It wont be for long.

But otherwise things are good. And I don't forget!

Hi Ruthi,

We don't forget you either. Thinking of you and Seamus.

Looking back to last year, I posted something quite inappropriate as somehow I misread and thought Seamus had already departed.

Wasn't very compos mentis myself that day, as it was the day after my 95 year old mum had died in her sleep, a release from increasing weakness and dementia. I must have been more shaken up than I thought. Apologies xx

• 1 year later...

Gosh! I missed the date! I think that must be a good sign, although the experiences are not forgotten.

Seamus died a few weeks after I posted. The vet finally realised that he probably had a brain tumour, and looking back we'd seen the first signs eighteen months earlier, but just hadn't managed to make the connection. When his pacing lasted all one evening we made the decision, and I know it was the right one. He went very peacefully, asleep on the sofa until the vets fiddling with his back leg woke him up. So we poked steak into the front end, and he just stopped eating after a while. I still miss him, such a huge character!

We have Jimmy the shrunk-in-the-wash akita (Pom x chi actually!) and Reggie the dog reactive lurcher now. Love them both to bits, but they are in the prime of life and haven't dug quite so deeply into my heart as the oldies do!

• 10 months later...