UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Collapsed Trachea - Any Experience?

sproggie14

After Begleys coughing yesterday he has been to the vet today who has diagnosed a collapsed trachea. Now I have no faith at all in this vet but she is the only one available on a Sunday. She is the one who sent us away with antibiotics for Erwine when it turned out he had very advanced lymphoma!!

Anyway I've looked around on the net and the diagnosis makes a lot of sense. He coughs when excited, when his harness is put on or when someone leans on him. What confuses me is that the vet said it was nothing to worry about, it didn't need any more investigating and wouldn't cause him any problems. If he was having a bad day with it we could give him some Tyxilix (sp).

But from my reading up on the net it seems more serious and it seems it should be investigated, other related problems ruled out and treatment given. It apparently can cause collapse, lung problems and heart problems and should be carefully monitored.

We're going to take him back to see the proper vet in the week to be sure but I wondered if anyone had any experience of this condition and knew whether we should be worried or not?

I think you will find that there are quite a few people on the board who have experience of this, I'm just one of them.

My experiences have not been the more positive ones, we had a foster here who came from the pound with a severely collapsed larynx and trachea. For him the outcome was the worst despite having a laryngeal tieback, but, and it is a big but, Monkey was a dog who had obviously been severely neglected for a number of years.

Begley is in a much better position. He has a sensible and loving owner who questions and looks for information and would never dream of leaving him without the appropriate care.

You are right, it does need some further investigation, and a plan as how to manage the condition, which as far as I recall does include things like managing how he takes his exercise, making sure he doesn't get too excited, keeping him cool when its hot, etc.

There will be others, I'm sure, who will post with much more involved advice and a good vet will be able to talk you through the whole procedure. I just wanted to reassure you that you and Begley should be able to go forward from this for a considerable length of time.

Noticed this purely by accident. I've had a dog with a collapsed trachea. She was an old girl when she got it and it wasn't the reason we lost her so don't panic. You can email me on [email protected] and I'll keep in touch with you as much as you like about this. I won't remember everything right now and will probably think of more. I posted on EGAR's thread when her yorkie wasn't at all well and later sadly died of something else.

I see Begley is a collie so this is going to be hard on him. You might want to think of getting a lot of his coat removed.

He shouldn't be in a dusty environment and needs plenty of fresh air. Need to leave your windows open even at night for him. All through the year. Try to keep him from getting too warm. I used to put damp towels on mine to cool her down in the summer etc. Not to be excited. Not to wear a collar. Nothing to touch the throat. You will find if you touch gently on the throat this will make him cough. It's a problem with the valve opening and closing. Can have normal exercise and is great cos then out in the fresh air. Eats and drinks normally.

Has Begley had a very bad coughing fit or is it slight coughing. If really bad can calm him down, soothing him and he will stop. Keep a close eye though if it is too prolonged need to get him to vet quickly as could need oxygen. Tess had to be taken to the vets twice in a hurry in the space of 18 months. Won't happen often but something you need to be aware of. Hers was bad though. She didn't end up having the oxygen either as she got stressed out when they placed her in the tank so the vet managed to calm her down. Like anything new this can all be very worrying to start with but he should be able to cope with this absolutely fine.

Not to be stressed, excited.

You now need to be very aware that if he catches kennel cough it won't be at all good for him. So I would stay away from dog shows etc and be aware that your others could bring home infections too.

It never bothered my Tess even when she had bad fits. Don't know how old Begley is. Tess was 15/16 when it happened to her. We weren't offered treatment as they didn't think it was necessary for her. I think there is an op they can have but it depends on individual cases and your vet will be able to help you more on that score. Try not to worry though. This is something they can live with. :GroupHug: Most don't need an op and it doesn't cause problems with their other functions.

Edited by Jacobean

Thanks everyone, some really useful and reassuring stuff there.

I see Begley is a collie so this is going to be hard on him. You might want to think of getting a lot of his coat removed.

He's a cross with a sheltie so he's very fluffy. We were actually going to take him to the groomers for the first time next week cos his bum is a bit knotty. I know nothing about grooming stuff so what would you recommend? Is there something they can do just to thin his coat so he doesn't get too hot?

Not to wear a collar. Nothing to touch the throat. You will find if you touch gently on the throat this will make him cough.

He wears a collar but it's very loose, just to hold his id tags really. He didnt have a collar before he came to us so we have never held him by or attached his lead to his collar. I don't think it bothers him as is. We already walk him on a harness but it's one that goes round his neck so we'll change that. I've seen halti types recommended for dogs with this condition but I have a feeling one of those might freak him out. We'll give it a try and see what he thinks anyway.

Has Begley had a very bad coughing fit or is it slight coughing. If really bad can calm him down, soothing him and he will stop. Keep a close eye though if it is too prolonged need to get him to vet quickly as could need oxygen. Tess had to be taken to the vets twice in a hurry in the space of 18 months. Won't happen often but something you need to be aware of.

Thanks, I'm glad we're aware of that. I read that the retching he was doing yesterday would be him trying to clear his throat cos he couldn't get his breath properly which is a horrible thought poor boy. It's better to know these things so we can take action for him.

Don't know how old Begley is.

About 7 we think which apparently is the classic age for them to start having problems with this. He is a little overweight now too which apparently doesn't help so we'll have to watch that.

Thanks again everyone :flowers: :flowers:

No experience whatsoever.

Could be worth also talking to a Homeopathic/Holistic vet - Richard Allport does a free initial question & answer thingy www.naturalmedicinecentre.co.uk worth asking for info and see what he says...

I'd keep Rescue Remedy handy for any occasions when she gets stressed/worried/panicky/can't breathe, and just rub a few drops in wherever is handy, her tum/top of head/wherever.

I'll send Reiki if she'd like it. :GroupHug: A local Reiki person could be good.

Just been to see the proper vet.

She read the previous vets notes from yesterday with her head in her hands and a disbelieving expression on her face.

The long and the short of it is Mr B has antibiotics and a course of wormers which would cover him for lungworm just in case. She says the symptoms do possibly fit with a collapsed trachea but it would be very unusual in a dog of his breed. It could just be that he has a sensitive throat (which is what I had always assumed). Certainly she thinks we should treat him for the obvious things (i.e. respiratory infection or lungworm) before thinking about something that drastic.

So we're still a bit confused but feeling a bit happier. He's been coughing a lot today and he had diarrhoea all over himself in the car so there's definitely something more than a chronic condition going on with him. Hopefully it's just an infection and the antibiotics will have him back to normal soon.

My 19 year old jack russel has a callapsed trachea, but also has a grade 5 heart murmour. I guess that they have ruled out heart problems, coughing can be a sign of heart problems ?

She has steriods when her trachea is playing up, which touch wood is not very often, mainly when you put pressure on her throat, she no longer wears a collar as the slightest pressure sets it off, walks are now on a harness !!

I hope yours is just an infection and clears up quick

It sounds like it isn't then. Especially if he's got diarrhoea on top. The "cough" is unmistakable. It can be set off by gently touching a point on their throat. If he doesn't rasp when he's on the harness (as I believe yours has a collar) then it isn't. I'm quite disgusted with vets at the moment. I hope you didn't have to pay for the consultation today when you have already been and had a mis-diagnosis.

It sounds like it isn't then. Especially if he's got diarrhoea on top. The "cough" is unmistakable. It can be set off by gently touching a point on their throat. If he doesn't rasp when he's on the harness (as I believe yours has a collar) then it isn't. I'm quite disgusted with vets at the moment. I hope you didn't have to pay for the consultation today when you have already been and had a mis-diagnosis.

Well this is why I am confused. The diagnosis really fits, the cough sounds just right and the normal occassions when he coughs totally fits. He does cough when he has his harness on - this is the main time he coughs, that and when one of the other dogs lays on him. He wears a collar but never has his lead attached to it. But what doesn't fit is that he has been coughing more the last few days. So I sort of suspect that he possibly has a mild case or just a very sensitive throat but with an infection on top at the moment.

I didn't see what we were charged for tonight (we have an account) but knowing Sandra I doubt she charged us. She's very good at trying to keep the costs down for us. It is annoying as we would have paid extra for a Sunday consult yesterday and I'd be tempted to complain and get money back but we've had a lot of discounts from them over the years so we're still very much quids in with them. It's just such a shame that one terrible vet ruins what is an otherwise lovely surgery.

Maybe it's the start of a problem with his trachea. Tess had a problem with hers for quite a while before it fully collapsed. It's hard to know without seeing the dog. Guess you can't complain if you've been getting a good deal financially. I know we have been ripped off at ours and are changing to a different one. Hope your vet gets to the bottom of all of this for you so you know what you're dealing with for sure. :GroupHug: