UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Tuppence

rainedrop

Hi all, I thought I would pop in an let you all know how Tuppence is doing. In February I took him to the vets due to him being off his food and generally lethargic and not himself. He was given antibiotics and it was thought he had a bug. A couple of days later he collapsed in the garden and had what I can best describe as a seizure, not exactly a fit, as I had an epileptic dog before and what Tup did was not the same. I rushed him back to the vet and by the time I got him there he had perked up. The verdict was that it was either a mild stroke or some other brain related thing and to just keep him quiet and see if it happened again. It did, and has been periodically since then. Generally they are like absences, if you understand what I mean by that. He collapses, and is out for sometimes just seconds and then come's to and just needs to sleep. The worst one he was out for about two minutes and I am afraid he wet himself etc that time and he took a bit longer to be able to co ordinate his legs. But having spoken to the vet I decided to not put him through the tests and scans that were offered due to his age and to see how he coped. He is actually doing very well now. He is eating better and putting weight back on and he loves his walks again. He has lost interest in his toys, but apart from that my boy is back. He is still having the 'absences' but less frequently. As long as he is a happy boy then I am happy. He is fifteen coming on sixteen, so sleeping should be his favourite thing I suppose. :biggrin:

For those who remember him (he was the third dog rehomed by the Oldie club) and those who don't, I tried to upload some pics, but could not. Sorry.

Regards,

Lorraine.

Oh Tuppence. He was the first dog I arranged a transport run for and is very special to us at the Club. :wub: Sorry to hear he has been having episodes but glad to hear he's not letting them bother him. It's great to hear from you. :biggrin:

To download a piccie into a thread type in your post, click on the 4th icon from the right and paste it in. The link will then appear in your post. The icon on the line with b i u etc in your thread. Hope this makes sense as I'm hopeless at explaining things like this.

Edited by Jacobean

Bud sometimes had blackouts, with the occasional wetting. I kept an old towel in most rooms, and when he blacked out would position it "just in case" - if he did go out deeply enough to wet himself, once the flow had stopped he was still out for a little while longer, so I was able to move it out of the way quickly, so that when he did come round he was not lying in a wet patch. Not so much for me, but it distressed him to realise what had happened, and that way we were able to avoid it.... okay he could still sniff it, but as by then it was not touching him, he did not realise he had done it.

• 1 month later...

Hi Lorraine,

It's lovely to see more recent Tuppence photos.

I remember transporting him to you,as the last link,and taking the smilie pic of him on the Oldies site.He is a little gem.

I'm so glad that,despite health hiccups,you are still together and happy.

Take care and give him a hug from me.

Kaye

x

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you everyone for your good wishes. He is still having the episodes, but is coping ok. He has been given tablets to help the blood flow around his system, and also some to aid his stiff joints. Some days, when he is very lethargic, I get really worried that he is not enjoying life and that I will have to make a horrid decision, then the next day he is up and about like an elderly spring chicken.

He has completely lost the sight in one eye and the other has a mild cataract. He is a bit deaf too, but he loves being in the park off the lead, and I have to clap or wave my hands around to let him know where I am. When he is on the lead he plods along like he has the weight of the world on his shoulders, and as soon as I unclip it, he trots off to sniff whatever he can find like a happy chap.

I will keep you all posted as to how he does, and I keep my fingers crossed that he is not ready for the rainbow bridge yet.

Lorraine