UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Pesticide/fertilizer - How Dangerous Is It To Dogs?

Rachelpirate

Just wondering if anyone knows more about this. Some of the fields we walk the pooches in have just been sprayed - I'm not sure whether it's pesticide or fertilizer. I'm reluctant to let my dogs in those fields in case it brushes onto their fur/eyes or they eat some grass with it on. We have been avoiding those fields but it oes cut their usual walk a little short and makes it less interesting as we have to keep going along the same paths (not as many sniffs I suppose). Does anyone know how dangerous this stuff is for dogs if they injest it or get it on them? Connie ran into a field I think may have been one today, I washed her all over when we got home but I'm still worried it might hurt her. Should I avoid those places altogether or is it safe to go back in?

Thanks!

Rachel

My personal rule of thumb is to avoid sprayed fields for a week unless there's been a good downpour and it's all dried in.

My Hannah, first dog, suddenly had blisters all over paws, face, ears first year I had her - no-one knew what it was, vet chopped off a bit of her ear and still none the wiser - I belatedly realised it was probably because in my then ignorance(city girl originally), she'd been running through a sprayed field.

Better safe than sorry, you can always do the short boring walk twice.

Fertiliser is usually the little white balls like Growmore, so assume poison if it's sprayed.

Fertilizer is usually granular in appearance and pesticides/weedkillers are usually in liquid form and sprayed on the land.

We have a lot of farmland around here and the amount of chemicals used is quite worrying.

I would never risk walking my dogs on it just in case. Even if there were no immediate side effects you have to consider what the long term ones would be :(