UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Vetergesic - Side Effects?

sproggie14

Loki tore a claw this morning and has been to the vets to have it removed. While there she had vetergesic and Noroclav (long acting antibiotic). This was about half three.

Since then she has been panting quite a bit and dribbling rather a lot. I'm probably just being a paranoid Mummy but we had to see the really crap vet and I don't trust her at all. Does anyone know if vetergesic can cause this as a side effect perhaps?

I use vetergesic occasionally when Buster's back goes into spasm. With him a low dose causes minimal side effects. But a half dose or higher makes him very spaced out, shaky, clingy and dribbly. His temperature control also goes to pot and he feels the cold even more than normal. So if I need to use it I make sure he's got extra blankets and if he's particularly cold a heat pad.

With him it takes between 12 and 18hrs before he's back to normal again.

Thank you :) We called the emergency vet as well and she said the same thing. I don't think her toe was really bothering her so I wish she hadn't had it now :rolleyes: I think half the problem was she was fighting it so we have all gone to bed and sure enough she has settled down in her normal place and gone to sleep, bless her :)

Yes thank you :)

Well she is AOK from the side effects of the vetergesic anyway but I think her foot is rather sore. She's definitely quieter than usual and is quite clingy. Which works out quite well in a way cos I've hurt my back so we're having lots of nice cuddles together :biggrin: