UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Effects Of Epilepsy Or Something Else?

Sezpez

Tessa is an 8 yr old Lab x whippet and has had epilepsy for 2yrs.

A while ago we noticed that after a fit she was very tense on her rear end. I ran my hands down her sides front to back and could feel really knotted muscles, went further along and once my hand was on her lower back she jumped into the air.

We took her to the vet that knows all about her epilepsy etc and they decided to do x-rays to see if there was any damage but everything was fine. Although the vet did agree with me that she is very tense in that area.

I know that she has some hip problems due to her breeding (she has whippety legs) but she is getting worse if anything. She's fed on gilpa kennel which has green lipped muscle in it but I haven't seen any good change, it's just got worse.

Was wondering if anyone has any ideas at all?

Sara

Perhaps get her looked at by a chiropractor. The effects of a seizure can do strange things to the physical body. I used to have an epileptic who used to throw herself about very violently in a seizure and had her checked a couple of times and her muscles were so tense and knotted. A little manipulation by the chiropractor did wonders for her.

Edited by Houndwoman

Perhaps get her looked at by a chiropractor. The effects of a seizure can do strange things to the physical body. I used to have an epileptic who used to throw herself about very violently in a seizure and had her checked a couple of times and her muscles were so tense and knotted. A little manipulation by the chiropractor did wonders for her.

A doggy chiropractor? :unsure: Sounds like a good idea if that's what you mean!

During a fit, the muscles really contract and it's not uncommon to suffer muscle tension for some time after (in my son's case, up to about three days depending on the severity of the fit). The tension, I'm told, feels much like the after effects of a severe cramp and is painful and uncomfortable.

Green lipped mussel is good for arthritis. For joint problems, Glucosomine and Chondroitin is excellent. Are your dog's fits under control with medication. It may be worth asking for a review if the fits are happening regularly.

I have spoken to her vet again and they said they don't know of any doggy chiropractors in the area. I looked on google and didn't come up with anything :(

Her fits are getting more controlled now but still not 100% but we are worried as she is on a high dose of pheno already.

Having just recently lost Skye to epilepsy, one of the things I wished I had done sooner was seek the help of a Homeopathic vet. Skye, was under the care of Richard Allport for just over a year. At his practice in Potters Bar he has various other professionals at his finger tips and does Acupuncture etc.

Definitely worth looking into and definitely helped Skye at least have a more comfortable life for the time he had. The other guy who is meant to be very good is Chris Day based in the Oxford area but I think he travels all over the place.

Sandra

I have spoken to her vet again and they said they don't know of any doggy chiropractors in the area. I looked on google and didn't come up with anything :(

Her fits are getting more controlled now but still not 100% but we are worried as she is on a high dose of pheno already.

Take a look at this website. www.mctimoney-chiropractic.org

Hope that helps. They will be able to tell you who there is in your area, that's how we found ours.