UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Diarrhoea Remedy Anyone?

SDS

We adopted Flo (aka Florence) a 14 week old Border Collie last Friday. Unfortunately the poor little mite has had diarrhoea since. She is not unhappy in any way and she is eating and drinking well. She is 14 weeks old, been wormed etc and is otherwise fit and well. She is currently being fed on Chudley's which is what she is used to.

My gut feeling is that the stress of the move etc might be affecting her still and quite possibly she had a fairly heavy worm burden, hence the sensitivity of her stomach now.

Just wondering if any of you have any suggestions or advice.

Natural Bio Yoghurt

I use this from wind to full blown squits. I've found that it is a wonderful settler of both human and doggie stomaches.

I add a desert spoon a day to Dudley's dinner (he is a Border Terrier about 10 kilos so you would probably need to adjust for weight etc but sure you can't overdose on it)

If you find that your doglets not good with dairy - and some aren't - try cooked plain brown rice and cooked lean chicken - and small quantities at first, until the tum settles. IF she doesn';t want to eat it because it's so bbland, add a little stock or diluted marmite for flavour.

This works a treat with mine... and my OH's dad's dog, who's a border collie with a VERY sensitive tummy (he can't have any sort of complete food - even burns and all the hypo allergenics because he has an immune problem that affects his guts...). Other one that works with OH's dads dog is porridge, with water rather than milk - but this makes mine worse, unless it has meat in it! Funny things, these doglets...

Hope flo feels better soon :)

Edited by staffymonkey

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks so much for your kind words of advice. Unfortunately nothing is working.

Both myself and Flo are at the end of our tethers and I really think I shall have to go back to the vet again. So, I've tried the homeopathic, the kaolin, Nutro Sensitive, Hypo-allergenic food, boiled rice and the list goes on.

I'm obviously not changing her food after just a day or so, I'm giving her at least a week. My last hope lies with Burns Chicken and Rice. She had her first meal on Wednesday morning, but so far no improvement. Going to leave her on it and see what happens.

As Flo is doing quite a lot of training at the moment, I am being careful not to give her treats. I'm using the Burns for this too.

Hiya

I would strongly advise you to go to your vet armed with a fresh sample of poo. At 14 weeks, and in view of the fact that you think she had a heavy worm burden, her immune system is probably not as it should be. It can take weeks for the digestive system to settle, and there are many many causes for diarhea including stress.

You also mentioned that you are doing a lot a training with her. It may be an idea to 'ease up' on this and just let her settle and find her feet - training at that age is usually incorporated as part of the daily routine rather than it being formal. Try to keep her as calm as possible too. Border Collies are very easy to over excite without you even realising it and this in turn can affect the digestive system. Many people mistakenly go over the top with toys (I am not saying you are but just making a general comment as this is often the case) and this can inadvertantly cause over excitement.

Also any homeopathic meds, suppliments etc need to be administered over a period of time as does new food i.e weeks.

Due to your pups age I really think a vet needs to be giving you advice - pups can quickly go down hill because of their immaturity in coping with simple things such as diarhea and the fact that you have already tried various things may initself be causing a problem.

Hope this helps and hope you get it sorted.

Sandra :wink:

Aloe Vera gel on top of the food. Essential to get a good quality one of sufficient strength. I've used Forever Living's version - this is really good to sooth irritable bowels. A (human) friend with IBS takes this daily & now has no further problems. Her dog which had an extreme seasonal allergy takes it too and no longer needs any steroids. The effect is not instant - several weeks are needed for the full benefit to be seen.

Burns has some other varieties - a duck one, a venison one & a fish one I think. They also have a good help line for advice.