UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Advice Please - Dog Sick

Guest Snoozieboots

Guest Snoozieboots

Hello, I wonder if someone can advise me please?

I have an appointment made with the vet tomorrow evening, but if you can offer any advice/thoughts I'd be grateful.

Zina is an 11 year old Golden Retriever and came to us from a foster/rescue three weeks ago today. She saw our vet who gave her a clean bill of health. On Friday she went right off her food (she isn't that keen anyway to be fair) but she just wasn't interested in much at all, including 'walkies' which is unusual. She then started vomiting, but only clear water and clear bile. Since then she has been hungry and back to her normal self. I had fasted her for 24 hours and she is now on light meals of rice/pasta with scrambled egg, chicken or fish. She is still vomiting, but rarely with any food in it, just the clear liquid/slime and a tiny amount of the last meal. She is fine in herself again.

I don't think that I have missed her eating anything that she shouldn't but on walks, I can't always tell as walking the two dogs together it's hard to watch both intently. I'm beginning to wonder if this is not food related, but perhaps she has something stuck in her throat and is trying to get rid of it?

Has anyone else had this experience or have a view on this please?

HI

My Springer does something like this too. He makes sort of coughing noises and retches really loudly and sometimes vomits just saliva. Sometimes there's grass in it too. Sometimes something yellowy/greeny. He goes through phases of doing it and then stops for a while. It does sound like he's trying to get something out of his throat. He never brings food back - he's far too greedy to part with any of it. But he's absolutely fine all the time apart from this theatrical yakking (which has been happening for months now, but only occasionally) so I don't think it's anything serious.

Diane

The first thing you should do is speak to the rescue he came from. Firstly its polite as he is there responsibility secondly they could enquire of the previous family/vet and see if this is something that has happened before.

It could be something that he cant tolerate or is allergic to but it probably is just a mild virusy thing and he will be fine in a day or two.

Guest Snoozieboots

Many thanks for your suggestions.

I have spoken to the former foster family about her medical history, such as it is, but there seems to be no problems with her being sick or coughing.

I have had it suggested to me on another website that this could be kennel cough. I have had a dog with kennel cough in the past but as it's 30 years ago now, I really can't remember the symptoms and I understand that they can vary considerably from one dog to another.

I am worried now as we rescued a pair of Goldies together and poor old Ben has laryngeal paralysis, so if he gets it, as is highly likely I suspect, then it will be far more serious for him.

It's perhaps as well that we already had this vet's appointment booked for tomorrow night.

Does anyone else have experience of KC and what the symptoms can be please?

Guest Snoozieboots

I have been keeping a very close eye on her today having decided that this isn't the uusal type of stomach upset that brings vomiting with it. She seems to cough just before she vomits, so I am more inclined to think that it could be KC. The 'rescue lady' has suggested that I try a traditional cough remedy of lemon juice and honey or a cough medicine from the health food shop as she feels it could well be KC.

Guest Snoozieboots

We saw the vet this morning and she is unsure what the problem is. She couldn't see anything lodged in Zina's throat, but she thought that the fluid may be coming from her lungs. She didn' think that it is KC as she tried the reflex action that would make her cough immediately if that were the case and Zina didn't cough - well not for about 5 seconds and then she did!!! We have tablets for her to take and a return appointment in one week's time if she isn't better for lung x-rays and exploratory tests.