UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

How Long Do You Think A Rescue Should Hold A *found* Dog

suzeanna

Interesting I have been trying to find out if the rescue that two of my dogs came from is still active (their chips are registered to the rescue and they would not let me change them) I can't even find out if the rescue is still active and I can't change the chips registration.

Others of my dogs are chipped to the rescues they came from and I would much rather they were chipped to me.

Edited by elricc

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you mean pickle the dog i posted about i may of caused a bit of confusion as i didnt know when i posted if she had been scanned. she was scanned & no chip was found. the dogs are kept for 8 days before going up for rehoming as is stipulated by the council. 8 days is not a long time if your looking for a dog and thats what got me interested in lost dogs i foung it hard to believe that every unclaimed dog was dumped. but on the other side of the coin there is percy a 14 yr old who has a home waiting for him with the people who found him but cant go yet because he is chipped. the phone number has been rung almost daily & a letter has been sent out but still no-one has come forward by law he could have gone as soon as his days were up but has been hanging on on the off chance that his owners are away & dont know he's lost. He has been there since before christmas

but on the other side of the coin there is percy a 14 yr old who has a home waiting for him with the people who found him but cant go yet because he is chipped. the phone number has been rung almost daily & a letter has been sent out but still no-one has come forward by law he could have gone as soon as his days were up but has been hanging on on the off chance that his owners are away & dont know he's lost. He has been there since before christmas

Has Percy gone through the normal notifying the dog warden/police system etc.? If he has, I don't understand why he can't be rehomed? Even if the finder is a private indivual, they only have to hold the dog for 28 days by law, as long as they have notified the dog warden etc. I thought? So if he has been with the individual/rescue since before Christmas, isn't he legally theirs now, so can be rehomed? :unsure:

So if he has been with the individual/rescue since before Christmas, isn't he legally theirs now, so can be rehomed? :unsure:

That's correct Ange - though lets hope the rescue are just giving benefit of doubt rather than just not trying to rehome.

As far as highways goes, Jesters Law a couple of years back ensured that all Highways Depts have scanners and routinely scan. However, in doglost's experience recently we know this doesn't happen. I can cite two instances just in my area this year. In one case the dog was ID'd by the owners in the freezer (they do keep dogs for a period), the other was disposed of with waste rubbish, but because of the sensitivity of the case in particular we chose to inform the owner that the dog was in fact incinerated. Can you imagine your horror of finding this out? A scanner would've prevented both events.

i just found out that percy went to his new home yesterday.

it does make you think though 7 or 8 days is not long when your looking for a dog especialy as a lot of dogs are taken out of the area they were picked up in. but is there a solution that will protect everyone as it stands now once a dog has been through the system & then re homed he legally belongs to the new owners. this is bad for all the genuine people that have really lost their dog, and as i said before the main reason i got into lost & found, but for every genuine owner there is a dog like percy who wasnt in very good condition but was chipped ( his chip was found down his leg & was an old chip) he could of gone after his 8 days only for a devestated owner to turn up who had been away & didnt know he was missing.

ok so i've rambled a bit but what i'm trying to say is its not the best solution but its all we've got to work on at the moment untill more people chip their dogs & more organisations scan them.

what i'm trying to say is its not the best solution but its all we've got to work on at the moment untill more people chip their dogs & more organisations scan them.

I agree. I don't think that having my dog chipped means I will definitely get her back should she go missing - that depends on who finds her, where she's found, whether she is then scanned, and even depends on who scans her, etc - but it's a chance. A chance she might not otherwise have.

I always worry about dogs like our Hamish. He was picked up by the warden and taken to the local dogs' home. Now, he wasn't chipped, but he had been neutered - and that always bothered me. Someone had cared about him. What if he had an elderly owner who didn't know about chipping? What if the owner was ill and another member of the family had let the dog out, maybe not caring what happened to him? We probably all agree that if one of our dogs went missing, we'd move heaven and earth to get her/him back but not everyone has access to phones, newspapers, internet and other resources.

A week or two just isn't enough time for some people to locate their dog.

Liz.

We are one of the rescues that keep the dogs microchip details registered to ourselves. We do it from experience and not necessarily the straying view point although yes, if one of my dogs was getting out I would want to know why. I know from experience and working with pounds that *most* scan and ring the microchipping company, however, I have heard on numerous occasions they havent reported the dog missing via the chip company or come to look if we have the dog so ........

Our chips have my number on both home AND mobile plus email address and also our vets personal chipping and id number so three numbers they have the option to contact, one email plus a fax line for the vets. I also know from experience of the pounds that if a dog is scanned and the chip registered to a rescue they are on the blower and very quickly as they know the rescues that keep the chip details in their name do so to guarantee the dogs future.

To me a dog with tag with owners details on, microchip with rescue and rescues vets details on gives that dog a much better chance of being re united and re united quickly. We had one dog go missing and the owners were out searching for her, they didnt have a mobile so only the home number on the tag. The dog was picked up by someone she went over too, they took her straight to the local vets who tried to ring the owner, couldnt contact her as out looking, they scanned her contacted pet log and called me. Thankfully as I was reachable via mobile we knew that she was safe and the vets held her till the owners touched base with me. What if they hadnt been able to get hold of me thought the owners werent answering the phone and she had headed off to the pound via the dog warden.

As for the OP's question as others have said dogs we take in straying that havent gone through the dog warden have to quite rightly remain in our care for 28 days, we cant even administer treatment other than emergency care but that does give the owners a greater deal of time to look for their missing pet.

May I say something to the matter of MCs. Alot of dogs come into pounds here in Ireland and some of them are chipped. But whoever chipped them didn't register the chip *hoewstupidisthat???*....

Erica, the Neo, IS chipped and her chip was registered, the pound rang the owner who claimed to have sold her in some carpark to a guy whos name he couldn't remember...

Legally, she is now mine, having had her five days at the pound as a stray.

if a dog is found as a stray by the dog warden in newark, they are taken to lincoln RSPCA which is nearly 40 miles away. if your lucky enough to find out that the dog was taken there (they dont inform the police), it costs you £45 a night in kennel costs. they can charge that up til the 7 days runs out, then the dog just has the cost of £110. i know lots of people who have just given up their dog cos a possible £315 to get their pet back is just too much.

Boicy who came from Many Tears was registered by them under the name he had when he boarded with them. i have tried to change the details and keep them up to date, but it is proving extremely difficult :unsure:

When we found the little yorkie as a stray, our dog warden had me sign papers agreeing to actively seek out the original owner of the dog for 28 days. And there after if no owner was found, we could keep if we were deemed suitable.

Needless to say, I have never heard from the dog warden again to question his where abouts now.

On the other hand, we took in a stray staffie once. The DW couldnt take her to the pound because they were full and as she was elderly I didnt want to let her go to the police station over the weekend. We agreed to keep her for a week and canvassed the area with posters and fliers, she was a good girl and obviously very well cared for. It turned out that her owners had gone on holiday for the week and left both his dogs with a neighbour. The dogs had escaped and the neighbours had done little to try and find them.

She was literally found on her eight day as we were planning for her to disappear so she wouldnt have to go back to the pound to be PTS.

Anything can happen in a week, I dont think its long enough to recover a lost dog that could easily have ran miles from home in that time.

The police could do with a similar scheme to doglost. A database for all lost and found animals. Reports made to the police are easily mislaid during shift changes, and one persons discription of the same dog can vary immensely.

We've lost dogs that have been chipped and still gone through the system ready for rehoming, and only been returned by sheer chance.

It takes longer for goods to change hands on Ebay than it does for dogs to go through the system.

Back to rescues who keep their details on the chip..... Lucy came from a rescue that is now closed, she should have had her details transfered into my name after 6 months but despite managing to contact the lady who ran the rescue and her word that the chip details would be in the post to me that never happened.

So if Lucy managed to get herself lost and picked up what would happen and would she be given back to me? i really am very annoyed at being put in this position by the rescue, Lucy has lived with me for almost a year but is not registered in my name :mad2:

Back to rescues who keep their details on the chip..... Lucy came from a rescue that is now closed, she should have had her details transfered into my name after 6 months but despite managing to contact the lady who ran the rescue and her word that the chip details would be in the post to me that never happened.

So if Lucy managed to get herself lost and picked up what would happen and would she be given back to me? i really am very annoyed at being put in this position by the rescue, Lucy has lived with me for almost a year but is not registered in my name :mad2:

It's unlikely she'd be returned to you. It would be considered her owners couldn't be found and she could legally be rehomed. Suggest you contact the chip company urgently.

It's unlikely she'd be returned to you. It would be considered her owners couldn't be found and she could legally be rehomed. Suggest you contact the chip company urgently.

:ohno02: OMG do you really think so? that is my worst nightmare realised, i do have Lucy's adoption agreement but i do not have a clue who the chip company are, and will they just let me change her details anyway?

:ohno02: OMG do you really think so? that is my worst nightmare realised, i do have Lucy's adoption agreement but i do not have a clue who the chip company are, and will they just let me change her details anyway?

You will need to send them the adoption agreement, I believe. If you ask your vet to read the chip, they should be able to tell you who it is, if not call one of the chip co's and they'll confirm if it's theirs or not.