UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Male Black Labs (apologies To Lab Owners)

crazyspaniels

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both Taz and Molly dislike young bouncy black labs, but I'm sure this is a direct result of having met a few who have jumped all over them and refused to leave them alone. They don't seem to have any particular problems with other black dogs.

We may have just been unlucky with the ones we've met, but teenage/young labs seem particularly hard to control around other dogs, and seem to have a total blind spot when it comes to reading other dogs' "p*ss off and leave me alone" signs.

We all love older labs :wub:

My black labs are both girls, one with nice manners with other dogs unless they bounce on her and one who will go to great lengths to bypass dogs and go to their owners instead. Both come back when they are called too which is a big help.

I think black dogs do have a particular problem being read by other dogs, even by other black dogs!

Edited by Karen

No my dog loves everyone and everything.

:unsure: :wub: :wub:

Especially Labs of the chocolate variety who love having their face licked all over :laugh: :wub:

I do wonder whether it is true that other dogs find ones with black faces harder to read. Gdog was black but had loads of grey on his face and never had any unpleasant encounters with other dogs, so maybe the fact that his expressions were easier to read would explain it :unsure:

Not noticably a problem where we live, everyone and their uncle has at least one black lab :) (including us!).

Shawnee isnt to confident with other dogs so tends to throw calming signals left right and centre so they are pretty hard to miss :wub: , consequently hasnt had to many arguments!

Lesley

x

Nog loves Labs, black and brown ones in particular :laugh: Thats because he is convinced all black labs must be either Bumpy or Poppy :laugh: I got towed around several shows last summer because he had to go check out every lab he saw just in case.

He doesnt seem to have any particular probelm with black dogs but then again having thought about it a great many of Nogs friends or dogs he knows are either fully black or predominantly black.

In Nog's case i know exactly what kind of dog he doesn't like - and thats rude ones :laugh:

Sadie looooves black labs - she used to have a couple of friends at our old park - unfortunately this now means whenever she sees a black lab she runs at it full pelt :ohmy: !

However the male black labs always try to hump her - even neutered ones and it gets just a tad embarassing for both us and the lab's owners! On one walk I had two lab brothers both trying to mount her at the same time :huh: she is spayed!

Caz

Jack does NOT like big (bigger than him :laugh: ) black dogs, there is a gorgeous Newfie walked sometimes in the park and if we are there at the same time although I avoid it he will spend the whole walk freaked out and barking :wacko: :wub: same with other all black dogs, don't know what it is he just doesn't like them :unsure:

My Sadie dislikes most dogs, she tends to ignore them unless they pester her in which case she will see them off. However, when we used to live in London and walk in the local park she did seem to have a particular aversion to black labs. We tended to see quite a lot of them and mostly they seemed to be young and scatty, bouncy dogs who wouldn't leave her alone so she got quite stressed around them. I began to dread seeing them even though I think they are lovely dogs.

My GSD hates black labs and would do them seriuous damage given a chance, makes life hell for walking as I live in commuter belt green wellies/wax jacket/4WD/black lab country usually attached to idiot townie owners who haven't a clue just need to fit country image, in fact forget the wellies & wax jacket quite often it's suit and tie or high heel shoes.

He does have good reason because in the first week I got him from rescue he was attacked no less the 3 times by different labs at the age of 5 months and decided he was going to get in first

After reading all these replies I feel so much better.

Finn, one of my Springer Spaniels absolutely hates Black Labs and if they are entire he hates them even more - something I can't understand as Finn himself is castrated. Females don't seem to have quite the same effect on him. He also hates a lot of Collies - but someone said to me once it's probably because they stare at him (big wimp). As he was a rescue from Ireland it may be that he some run-in or such like in his previous home. Saying that it's pretty safe to say he doesn't like entire males, but Labs are his particular hate.

Jan, my other Springer, loves all dogs, Black, Brown, White and I'm sure if she saw a 'purple' dog she would love that too.

We are pretty lucky where we are we have the shore along the Loch to walk and plenty of Forestry roads but I always put both of them back on their leads when I saw Collies or Labs heading our way :)

My previous Springer also hated Black dogs, didn't matter what breed they were - he was caught by the throat by a Black Lab when he was 4 months old and shaken and this happened at Dog Training Classes - needless to say the offending dog was banned - but the stupid owner couldn't have cared less. From that day until the day Jua went to the Bridge his mission in life was to rid the world of Black dogs, apart from his 'sister' Lucy who was a Staffy X Lab and was Black :biggrin: