UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Banner and Lilli had grown hairy mammoth coats and were sweating quite heavily, Banner had been full clipped once already! They have both had chaser clips and look amazing rather odd because of the thickness of their coats. They do look as if someone just ran a lawnmower across their middles. :) It was Lilli's first clip and she was really good, I was so pleased with her as she can be a tad challenging at times.

Wanda Woo is due for her second clip, she may go for the chaser or the naked look, depends on what Sam decides.

How is everyone?

We are fine - Blue was clipped on Sunday. I usually do him myself, but for the sake of spending £30 and saving me a lot of time, hairiness and stress, I figured it was worth it. She did a really good job on him, and he was really well behaved - until he got bored and then headbutted me in the nose :rolleyes: I still have the bruise now :laugh:

He is still being a good boy in his lessons - his sharer was jumping on him the other week :) Apparently he was really good and they both loved it :)

• Like 1

We're fine too :)

Another who clipped a hairy monster at the weekend, I ended up taking everything off as then hopefully next time I can do a high blanket which is my fav for him but he just had too much coat this time.

Have bitten the bullet and sold the trailer and now looking for a lorry, which is incredibly frustrating and there seems to be nothing decent around but trying to be patient!!

Good girl Lilli, thats a mark of how much she trusts you now :wub:

Hope the bruise is going down Gooster, at least he didn't break it :ohmy:

• 2 weeks later...

Hope you get something sorted Clare :flowers:

Am doing a dressage on Blue on Sunday - p7 and p13. Am hoping he's a good boy, I schooled him tonight and he was really good. He spooked a few times and bucked when I flicked him with the whip, but otherwise he was a good boy :)

Just on the way home from dressage. He was really good in p7, we only scored 59.5%, which I felt was a bit mean tbh. He was an absolute little git in p13, we had bucking and napping and spooking. Somehow though we still scored 58.33% and qualified for Aintree on the 11th January. Sod's law though, I am away in Cuba from the 10th January, so I can't go :rolleyes: The first thing we ever qualify for and I am on holiday!

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic well done Gooster :flowers: Such a shame you are away for Aintree heard its a lovely venue, you'll just have to qualify for next year :biggrin:

We're out showjumping on Sunday and its my first proper trip out in the horsebox so not sure what I am more nervous about :laughingsmiley:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

How is everyone getting on?

I got back from Cuba yesterday to find out that Blue has had a swollen leg, a cut eyelid, his teeth done, been wormed and managed to lose his head collar - all in the space of 2 weeks :laugh: :rolleyes: Thankfully his leg and eyelid are fine now :) I am not sure they have been doing a full muck out every day on him though - I got 4 wheelbarrows of muck out of his stable today - usually I get one and a half :unsure: He had plenty of bed though, so he's not been lying on concrete, but I like to take the wet out every day, but I don't think they have done that :unsure:

I also had a tow of a caravan today - I went to the holiday show at event city, and they had free towing tuition. I thought I would have a go in practice for towing my trailer. It was ok, but it was a light caravan on the back of a automatic car, so you didn't feel like you were towing anything at all!

(null)

Wow Blue sounds like he had a busier time than you! I don't think anyone mucks out as well as we feel we do :laughingsmiley:

Things are good here, we've been training hard, making progress (hopefully!!), still debating about whether we will be ready for our intended first event beginning of March, just can't believe it will ever stop raining and let the ground dry out.

I'm loving my lorry and having the freedom to go out and about on my terms :biggrin:

The not so good news is that Loki's Anhidrosis is quite evident since we have started pre season fitness work, I'm not sure if its because I am aware of it now or if it has kicked off earlier than usual, but there is a bit of light in that a supplement company I contacted have experience of horses with this overseas and are very keen to try and help and are funding the loading period of the supplement so its not just sales bluff. They have been incredibly helpful and are the first people I have spoken to who understand and have experience of the condition so I am really hoping we might make some progress.

• 1 month later...

How is everyone getting on?

We have started to embrace the happy hacking lifestyle. It all started last week when it was a sunny afternoon and I was off work. I got to the farm early and I was going to school him, but thought I would see how far we could get out on a hack. Usually we don't even make it down the lane solo without him protesting and being a git, however not only did we get down the lane, but we got to the country park, around the country park and home again, with only a couple of tantrums (little bounces and dropping shoulder as he wanted to go home :rolleyes: ). Yesterday I decided to venture out again on our own, and he was brilliant. A slight tantrum at some sandbags and a road sign, but he kept going, just snorted and stared :) We even had a little canter :biggrin: Today we had company for our hack, and it involved lots of canter - we were behind, so we got covered in mud, but it was great fun :) He even decided that the scary drainage ditches going into the country park would be fun to jump over today (instead of his usual snort and shimmy around!).

• Like 1

Good boy Blue!

As I've had a new knee plus the trauma of losing Jack I haven't been to the yard for a while. Got a surprise when I popped up today, the winter hardstanding turnouts have been roofed, it looks amazing. The shet's have been given an under cover area too, no more mud! :) l knew it was on the cards but didn't expect it to be finished so quickly!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

My gang of 3 are doing well but a bit of a story if you know of laminitics on happy hoof! We have really been struggling with Bumble being permantly footy and 'dragging' a back hoof when walking, it was getting to the stage where i wondered how much longer he'd be around for. Long story short i asked a question about happy hoof on our local equestrian facebook page, i had 2 seperate people telling me to get Bumble off happy hoof immediately as their laminitics cant tolerate it. I put him on hi fi lite as suggested and stopped h.hoof straight away and we have had no lameness/footiness in 10 wks, the dragging hoof stopped within a few days!!! A much happier pony whos started being ridden again and thinks hes a racehorse lol. I'm not saying h. hoof is bad for all but i never considered the fact that a lammi feed can cause problems, even the farrier said his feet have improved! I know its not a cure as Bumble does seem early cushings but its so nice having our cheeky sod back lol

• Like 1