UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Thank you :)

We are on our way home now :) Blue was actually pretty good considering it has been 2 years since his last dressage :) Had a minor panic though when I got there though as there was no one doing the reading for people. Then mum bumped into someone she knew, so she read my test for me. We warmed up in a pretty non spooky arena, where he went pretty well for me. We then went into the competition arena, with plant pots, music playing, waist level white boards and normal white boards on the floor. Blue just went Aaaaaaggghhhhh! I couldn't get him near the track at all, and just as we were having a panic at a plant pot, the judge rang the bell :rolleyes: However I got him into trot and managed to get him as near as dammit to the track as he would go. He did settle down and rode an ok test, he jogged on his free walk, so we only got a 4 for that. His canter transitions were ok, which was what I was worried about, but his second canter circle on the left rein was a bit naff. However, I was really pleased with him, as it was a lot for him to cope with having not been out for 2 years! Can't wait for the next one now :biggrin:

The next one there is at the end of September, but I will be sunning myself in Mexico, so can't do it. I then have the decision as to whether to to to my favourite venue Croft at the end of October, or whether to go back to Crow Wood :unsure: I suppose I have a while to decide :laugh:

Isn't everyone doing so well! Milo's pictures were awesome and doesn't Blue look so good and very handsome! Very nicely turned out Gooster!

Banner is continuing to be amazing at agility, I just looked at the September competition and she's gone up a level, she's now at Medium and is 26th in the international league!

A very mucky Banner!

20130816_103649.jpg

Clipped and clean! She had a huge coat already because of her cushings so whizzed it all off!

20130901_150117.jpg

• Like 1

Wow well done Banner!

We're eventing at the weekend, and my friend is taking us in her lorry so we can see how he travels in it and how we find it, so should be an interesting day! We've been working really hard on our showjumping so hoping that we do a bit better in that phase this time, but it really does depend on me keeping my head and riding him right so no one else to blame if it goes pearshaped lol.

• 3 weeks later...

Banner did her September competition yesterday and was really naughty, she will probably score minus 100! Sam who was filming said she had such a 'make me' face on and was clearly taking the mick. She wouldn't stand when asked, refused point blank to trot and legged it at one point, I could only laugh as it was just so awful! Then I did the long reining course and was much better but the blessed cat joined in! When driving through the gate the moggie leapt at her and then lay on the floor in the scarey corridor, Banner just stepped over him!

A sad time at the yard too, Sam has had to say goodbye to Sheri, her brood mare. She hasn't been right since Weed was born and really struggled with lameness, back problems and constant abcesses last winter so Sam and her mum took the decision to let her go. The right thing to do but always so hard but I'm told the vet was lovely and Sheri's passing was very gentle and peaceful.

Run free Sheri love, no more pain!

Run free Sheri :( :GroupHug:

Naughty Banner :laugh: :wub:

Not much to update from us - am away at the moment and in the week up to coming away I didn't ride. Even though his behaviour is so much better now, I didn't want to chance him having a massive spook and me hitting the deck and breaking something. His sharer has still been riding him out and having lessons on him though, so he is still getting exercise. Kind of missing my big goofball :wub:

• 3 weeks later...

Hope everyone and all the horses are alright :)

Ramping up for the winter here!! She says, when it's been 18 degrees here today! I am absolutely determined that the little monster won't be making a bid for freedom out of his field and down Into the village this winter. I have umm'ed and ahhh'ed in recent weeks whether I should try and move him to a smallish yard so I can stable him overnight but after much deliberation I decided against it. I'm not sure his hocks could take it and he is really settled where he is now so I'm reluctant to move and potentially make his arthritis any worse for him by shutting him in at night. I'm sure I might change my tune if I get a call at 2am from the local policeman!! Since last year I've improved the fencing and have got an incredibly powerful energiser running off a huge battery which even on it's 'low' setting gives you heart failure if you happen to touch it! I've also ordered him one of those very handy electric fencing rugs with the panels on the front and in the neck so he will get a full zap from the fence even when he's wearing a rug. I've also been trying to find a way to see if I could roll a whole huge bale of hay out into his field so I don't have to panic about whether he's run out or not. I need something that will keep a big 4ft bale off the floor/mud, be safe to have in the field, and potentially have some scope for having a net round it to stop him gobbling it all. Any thoughts let me know ;)

Minus that, I'm hoping to get him out over the winter to some indoor SJ and dressage :)

Keeping everything crossed that Milo stays in his field over winter :flowers:

Got up to the farm on Saturday to find Blue had cut his eyelid. Call to emergency vet who told me he wouldn't stitch it and we had 2 choices, him come out and give me some chloramphenicol to prevent ulcers, or me to monitor him and see how he goes. As soon as I mentioned to the vet that I am an optometrist, he was more than happy to stay at home and leave me to check him. Am glad I did, as aside from a slightly puffy eyelid, he has been fine :)

Since getting back from my holidays, he has been a little star in my lessons I have had. He's such a little dude :)

We used to use one of those big round metal things you see in cows fields for the round bales of hay for the riding school...they come in two halves and can be moved (with effort) around the field and it stops them pooing on it and throwing it about