UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Phoebe is such a lovely looking girl, very kind face :wub:

There is a "rule" that you are supposed to change your hat anytime you have a fall, but if you can't see any marks on it I might be tempted not to as its not that old. Hope you're not too stiff this morning :flowers:

Look forward to seeing the pics Gooster!

Sad news is that Loki seems to be showing signs or his illness of 2011, he has been lethargic and puffing a lot again the last week. Vet came out on Thursday and gave his lungs a clean bill of health. The vet held his hands up and said he doesn't know what to suggest or where to go from here, all he could put it down to was a heat intolerance. In desperation I posted a thread on H&H forums and someone asked If he was suffering from anhidrosis and I've been researching it and although its very rare in the UK its not unheard of (two people on that thread have horses with it) I really do think it might be what he has, he has lots of the symptoms even down to having unexplained sores on his elbows that I know started when he was poorly in 2011 because vet said may be it was due to him laying down more feeling unwell. Unfortunately there is no cure its a case of managing it, some people have had success with patches so might try those but anything like that will need to be ordered from USA as nothing available in this country.

So I'm sorry peeps but I am holding out for a cold and wet summer and wish this lovely weather would get lost in time for me to go eventing on the 26th :rolleyes:

Thanks guys :) I think the fact that I am fitter is helping him as well. I do a lot of gym work now, and try and do one class on my core per week (as well as working on it in other classes too). I am finding I can sit better, have dropped my stirrups down a hole and can ride for much longer without getting worn out. I schooled him tonight, he didn't go as well as he does when we are in a lesson, but he went ok. I am trying a new idea to make my solo schooling more fun, tonight I listened to my iPod whilst schooling, and have decided that with some songs, whenever a certain word comes up, we do a transition or movement. I need to compile a playlist to do it properly, with songs in it with sensible spaces between the chosen word. So far I have discovered Troublemaker by Olly Murs is a good one to use :)

Had another fab lesson on Blue tonight - I thought he would be a bit of a git as he kept planting his feet on the way in from the field as the farm next door has put a mare in the field next to Blue, who he appears to have become quite attached to :rolleyes: He was fantastic though, despite being really warm (at 7.30pm), he was forward going and happy to oblige with everything I asked him to do. We also had no spooks at anything at all :biggrin: I really want to get to a dressage on him soon, I have asked my YO if she will take us next time she is at a dressage, as the next two at Croft is when mum and dad are away, then the one after is when I am on holiday :rolleyes: I really need to pass my trailer test...

I think I need to have words with my sharer. I had planned to ride tonight, as she has changed her lesson to a Saturday now. Last night I got a text telling me that she has changed her lesson to tonight instead. This morning I get another text telling me she is also riding Blue and having a lesson on Tuesday as her OH is going clay pigeon shooting with the YO husband so she thought she would ride Blue whilst she waits around :angry: I am off on Tuesday, so had again planned to ride :rolleyes: As she has already arranged the lesson with my instructor, I feel mean on my instructor telling the sharer to cancel the lesson so I can ride :unsure:

Oooh that would really annoy me, I'd make a stand now otherwise she'll be taking over, just remind her you have set days and they need to be stuck to unless mutually agreed because you make plans for your days or something, that is really cheeky!!

Can you not hack him out in the morning and she have her lesson this time so you don't lose out?

Loki seems to be doing well, he is ok out at night although comes in with lots more cuts and scrapes so goodness only knows what he gets up to! We have started with the patches and this week we have had proper sweating :biggrin:

Going to the gallops early tomorrow so that will be a good test of his wellbeing and then dressage on Sunday, if all that goes well then we are supposed to be going eventing next weekend, but with the ground I'm not sure that will happen, although venue does look after ground very well and they have been spiking but will probably go and do dressage and showjump then make a decision on xc, we don't have any other events planned until September so I would like to run if possible, my rain dance doesn't appear to be working!

I think I need to have words with my sharer. I had planned to ride tonight, as she has changed her lesson to a Saturday now. Last night I got a text telling me that she has changed her lesson to tonight instead. This morning I get another text telling me she is also riding Blue and having a lesson on Tuesday as her OH is going clay pigeon shooting with the YO husband so she thought she would ride Blue whilst she waits around :angry: I am off on Tuesday, so had again planned to ride :rolleyes: As she has already arranged the lesson with my instructor, I feel mean on my instructor telling the sharer to cancel the lesson so I can ride :unsure:

She doe know he isnt her horse? ....Id tell her to get lost Im sure you can find a much better sharer than that....

Loving Graces no nonsense response :laughingsmiley:

Look forward to your camp report CP :)

Dressage went ok, we did a nice enough test but quite flat, was pleasantly surprised to win quite a good class but came away a bit concerned at his flatness (if that is a word!).

Got a call from the yard yesterday that he was making strange noises almost like hiccups and on investigation appears horses get something called thumps and it sounded like what he had, so called my vet who was quite unconcerned and vague so decided to call in another practise I am registered with to do some bloods as thumps can be amongst other things calcium deficiency or interestingly electrolyte imbalance which ties in with the non sweating thing. They never bothered calling me back with an appointment :rolleyes_anim: but when I got him in from the field this morning he was as bright and happy as he has been in a while and worked much better, I'm guessing because the weather is so much cooler today so perhaps it is just a heat intolerance and I have to accept it and not keep thinking I need to get a definitive diagnosis. Will still get bloods taken if they ever call me back!

We are supposed to be eventing on Saturday so hoping for a cool day, think I will go and do dressage and showjumping then make a decision on xc depending on how he feels and how the ground is, more worried about ground to be honest its going to be very firm.

Hope Loki is feeling better soon :flowers:

Well done on the dressage :)

Looking forward to reading about camp CP :)

Yesterday I got a message from my instructor telling me the sharer had cancelled her lesson :rolleyes: She wanted Friday (which is when I have my lesson so Claire told her no and to check with me when is ok for her to ride). I then got a message from sharer asking if she could swap her lesson to the weekend. Hopefully she will get it into her head that she can't just ride whenever she wants, and that he is my horse!

Had a fab hack on Blue on Monday night, we hacked over the pennine bridleway to mum and dad's house, had a glass of lemonade and an apple for the horses, and then hacked back. I really enjoyed it and Blue was very well behaved. No spooking or napping :)

Hope Loki is feeling better soon :flowers:

Well done on the dressage :)

Looking forward to reading about camp CP :)

Yesterday I got a message from my instructor telling me the sharer had cancelled her lesson :rolleyes: She wanted Friday (which is when I have my lesson so Claire told her no and to check with me when is ok for her to ride). I then got a message from sharer asking if she could swap her lesson to the weekend. Hopefully she will get it into her head that she can't just ride whenever she wants, and that he is my horse!

Had a fab hack on Blue on Monday night, we hacked over the pennine bridleway to mum and dad's house, had a glass of lemonade and an apple for the horses, and then hacked back. I really enjoyed it and Blue was very well behaved. No spooking or napping :)

Good for you....trouble is if you start down that path you only make a rod for your own back....she sounds a bit of a madam....