UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Read back now, sorry to hear of Milos problems :GroupHug: and Loki's :GroupHug:

Bumble is doing well although he does have off days and i find hes looking older now .I think his problems this year have taken their toll on him. However a few weeks back i was bringing Annie and Fern in as it was foul weather, torrential rain and gale force winds.Got those two in then discovered Bumble coming in on his own :rolleyes: :laugh: Obviously he wasnt waiting a second longer so broke his fencing and charged in alone, so theres still life in the old boy yet :laugh:

Rode Milo today he was a star :D he was so eager to get going, he was nibbling to get the bit in his mouth! He wasn't silly at all. My sister took 2 short videos for me, just a walk on each rein. Here's the link for one, will post the other in a second...

hitp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIUcTkleKMA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Yay great to see you back onboard :flowers:

Got absolutely soaked hacking this afternoon, it was a mini storm really strong wind and torrential rain which seemed to go on for ages it was quite exciting for a while :wacko:

Anyone expecting any nice horsey pressies from Father Christmas?

Oh it was so lovely to be back on board! Still not convinced he's sound but we'll ploug on with our instructions!

I had just literally finished riding when that downpour happened, was so glad I didn't get caught in it!

My dad took me to Robinson's yesterday after admitting he hadn't got me a present yet, I got a pair of those brown leather/suede country boots :) apparently my boyfriend has got me a canvas with horses on....I dread to think lol! What about everyone else?

Great to see you riding again :)

We had our lesson last night, as it was chucking it down there were lots of things to spook at. There is a row of tyres at the edge of the school that were scary because they were wet and light was reflecting off them :laugh: :rolleyes: Also the horse walker was scary as that was wet and moving. By the end of the lesson he was working well though, got a cracking leg yield away from the scary tyres!

Not sure what Father Christmas is bringing us, I am after a thermatex rug for Blue, but am waiting to see if any appear in the sales :)

Good boy milo :wub: I schooled Blue on Monday, he was a good boy and started listening to me straight away :) Just found out that my instructor is now taking commissions for paintings/drawings of horses. She is an amazing artist from looking at the pics she has put on Facebook. Have always wanted a picture of Blue doing, and think Claire would be ideal to do it as she can capture his cheeky personality in the picture as she knows him so well :)

No hope of riding round here today, howling gales and massive showers of hail, all the horses said we must be joking, don't even think about it!

I split Banner and Lilli tonight, Banner stayed in the usual stable and Lilli has a 12' x 14' box but as a temporary measure. As the door is way too high for her to see over we blocked it open and stuck a 3' jump filler across the doorway. Put Lilli in and went to get a very angry Banner who was tied to the gate, put Banner in and took her rug off, looked over her door and Lilli was looking back at me. The naughty pony had jumped the filler and was looking for mum! :biggrin: I've had to close the door for tonight but will alter things tomorrow, Lilli looks so tiny in such a big box.

:biggrin:

Hello!!!

Snow told me I was being asked about so thought it was about time I bored you all again!!!

Kane is still fit and healthy, he's off on his 'holiday' next weekend as he's been working very very hard this last year so he's going to a friends field for a month off eating and being a lazy horse...not sure how I'll cope with just seeing him weekends as I've cared for him everyday for 7 years (nearly 8!!!) :unsure:

Anyway we've been doing alot more competeing, found our home in Cross Country which I love (but terrified) and he totally excells at!! He's the bravest little horse and positively bounces when he sees the jumps!! I'm afraid we'll never make dizzy heights as I'm useless and he's a 15hh heavy cob but we have fun and have won a local pairs comp against 25 other riders so that's my proudest moment!

We've been of to horse camp which was absolutely fabulous...already booked again for next years in April! And we have attempted to drag hunt again this season but unfortunatley it's all a bit too exciting for the little cob and after some very embarrassing brake failures, which involved jumping into someone's front garden and gallopping around the yard while trying to have drinks BEFORE we'd even left for the first line!! I've retired him from hunting and will stick to things less thrilling...although we now have problems riding anywhere he can see horses ahead because he thinks we have to 'catch' them!!! :rolleyes: Bombproof ploddy cob anyone????? :laugh:

So I'll share some pictures from our year....the most fabulous one is sadly not me riding!! After having a 'slight' meltdown during a XC training session a friend got on and this was the result (gutted...it should have been me riding him!!!! :mad: )

226708_10150171421476536_707441535_7267517_4489587_n.jpg

This was my first XC comp...sloppy jump and determinded look was because he'd refused this jump so I was forcing him over it!! Lol!! Only refused because there was a person stood opposite it and that worried him...he's such a fool!!

247173_10150192186351536_707441535_7450750_1664414_n.jpg

The beginnings of our Show jumping training...now jumping 90cm (okay not huge but since I only started jumping 2 years ago I'm happy!!)

207947_10150154270771536_707441535_7101290_7071314_n.jpg

Calm quiet sensible cob at the first Drag hunt meet...

33896_441894506113_638221113_5810318_6948276_n.jpg

Okay...maybe not so quiet but still sensible and listening to mummy!

47029_441906776113_638221113_5810541_4284765_n.jpg

Haaahaaaa...forget quiet, sensible and I'm NOT LISTENING!! I'm off...wheeeeehhheeee!!

66472_441906996113_638221113_5810550_7613722_n.jpg

Ohhhh yes and I almost forgot!! This is Jade. :wink:

183817_10150091886561536_707441535_6763612_5502017_n.jpg

Lol..no I've not gone completely insane but yes she is a Chestnut TB mare...ex racer too!!!! :laugh: I bought her literally from the back of a horse lorry on it's way to the meat man, she is 6 years old and the quietest, sweetest mare ever!! I knew a bit of her back ground and had spoken to her trainer who was devestated the owner was sending her for meat but he couldn't afford to buy her (£200!!!) so I'm afraid I was reckless and handed over the cash!! She obviously isn't my sort of horse so after a few months feeding up and chilling out she went on loan to a local girl who utterly adored her. So much so after 3 months she rang asking to buy her so I allowed her to go for what I'd paid, so now see her as she's in the next village and know she's safe for the rest of her life. If I had space and time I'd have kept her as she's so gentle but Kane takes up all my time and he's enough horse for me....for now.....I'm currently looking around for a foal to bring on, will be another chunky monkey but this time a proper height!! Lol!!!

Aww, Jade :wub: and Kane :wub: Still think you are really brave to jump :)Am in a shopping dilemma... Whenever I ride blue in my lessons, I wear my mountain horse boots with the stirrup control system. I don't have the special stirrup treads, just the boots. They seem to really help me keep hold of my stirrups and stop my foot sliding forwards. So whenever I go back to my long boots that I wear for dressage, even if I shorten my stirrups a hole, I still have major problems losing my outside stirrup in the canter. I know this is because my foot position isn't perfect and I need to drop my heels down more, but as I have short achilles tendons, I find this really difficult. I have tried schooling him in my long boots, but I feel this really isn't helping, and me being unbalanced in the canter as I am constantly looking for my stirrup, will put him off. So, my dilemma is, do I bite the bullet and buy some mountain horse long boots (if they do them short and wide enough for my chunky legs), or do I just persevere with the boots I have and hope that the situation improves :unsure:

WTG Kane! Really nice to hear from you Jacky, I can't believe how much you have achieved in such a short time. Kane looks marvellous and so happy and you look fantastic over the jumps. I remember when you found it hard to hack out of the gate and look at you now, cross country, showjumping and drag hunting, it's wonderful! How brilliant that you saved Jade and that she now has a lovely home! A big hug and a cyber carrot for the lovely Kane.

Gooster, the stirrup problem may be because you are gripping up with your knee, thigh or both. Instead of thinking heels down try thinking leg down from the hip, breathe out and relax at the same time. Do some of the knee up, out and push down before you canter to loosen your hips. It's worth a try before lashing out on new boots! :biggrin: