UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Everyone's horses seem a bit bonkers at the moment, Wanda is completely off her truck at times. I had a sharer show some interest but I just could not bear the thought of another person riding her so I ducked out, I am a wimp! :biggrin:

Bossy Banner takes things toa new level, there are three bigish horses in the field with the shets plus Weed, the new foal who was bigger than Banner when she was born so you can call it four. They are let out of the field into a sort of wide passage, collected one at a time at the gate to go in for the night. Who is elbowing her way to the front with squeals, head wags and stamps of tiny feet? What a surprise, it's Banner causing mayhem again, when she wants to go to bed it means now! I'm so glad she isn't Wanda sized!

Go carefully all of you with bonkers horses, we don't want any accidents.:ohmy:

I did two rounds at the clear round jumping today on Max (sorry no more photos OH didn't come down) 1st round I got 4 faults ,knocked a pole down and second one was clear. Although I was happier with the 1st round as it flowed better and was in canter for the majority of the course. I think I was out of steam second time round.:rolleyes:

Well done Jeanne biggrin.gif

Aww, Bannerwub.gifwub.gif

How is Loki doing Clare? Any improvement since his physio has seen him?

We are just plodding along at the moment, since my car has broken down, have to rely on mum and dad to take me to the yard, so not ridden since Friday as they just want to come up, do jobs and then go home (can't blame them really, it is cold at the farm to be stood around not doing anythingrolleyes.gif) Last night Blue was in a cheeky mood though as I was stood with my back to him but had my hood up, so he grabbed hold of my hood with his teeth and pulled it, taking a chunk of hair with my hood tooangry.giflaugh.gif

Oh norty Blue, perhaps we was getting his own back for being clipped :laugh: Hope your car is sorted soon and you can get back to normal, hate being without a car don't realise how badly we rely on them until something goes wrong :flowers:

Loki is doing ok thanks :flowers: Had to cut short our jumping on Saturday as he was full of himself and almost jumped me off a few times, and suddenly I realised why jumping in a dressage saddle isn't the best of ideas :laugh: It scared OH enough to offer to help out with buying a jumping saddle as my birthday and Christmas present, so saddler all booked up for 28th Dec, im a bit excited and now wishing away Christmas :jumpy:

Glad Loki is feeling better :flowers:

Car is hopefully going to be back with me tomorrow evening (fingers crossed), winter tyres going on it on Tuesday.

CP, do you fancy coming up north and having a clean of my tack? :unsure: :laugh:

Evil weather here today, really blowing a gale and nasty rain. In 2 minds whether to cancel my lesson tomorrow evening. Think I'll get blown off him if the weather is the same!!

Haha I hate it but its satisfying when its all clean and shiny :) think I will get the scissors out and attack milos tail and whiskers tomorrow!

Forgot before to give you all a heads up - just seen on the weather that tomorrow night will be down to -3! Dig out those cosy rugs :laugh:

Also, if you aren't already get yourselves on the Robinsons deal of the day mail list. I've ordered twice already, one rug reduced from £69 to £29 and another one from £32.50 to £15! They do a different product every day, great for grabbing a bargain!

Banner's boyfriend Monty was not well last night, for some reason he was shaking from head to foot and he'd been in his stable all day. Banner kindly gave him her 250g turnout to wear and with another bucket of soaked feed he gradually stopped shaking. His temp was very slightly up, he was normally warm to touch at the base of his ears and between his legs so a bit of a mystery. He's a complicated chap who has a malabsorbtion problem so has to eat a huge amount for a mini shetland, in spite of continued treatment on his teeth he struggles with haylage but does give it a severe sucking! He eats mostly soaked Lucie nuts and makes a disgusting mess of his face doing it. As the rug has skulls on it Banner has now swapped him for his baby blue and pink stable rug which does nothing for a boy pony's street cred! I haven't told Banner but it doesn't do a lot for her either!

Clare - Jumping on a dressage saddle, eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek! Not easy is it? :biggrin:

How is Monty now? Hoping he is feeling better :wub:

I did end up cancelling my lesson on Friday :angry: Was good to go, had groomed, started to tack up then it started to blizzard. I gave it a few minutes before ringing my instructor (who had phoned to say she was going to be a bit late), to say it was blizzarding, and whilst it wasn't sticking at that point, it was coming down that fast, it may have stuck. So we decided to call it off :angry: About 10 mins after I had cancelled, the snow stopped :rolleyes:

On other good news, I have got my fantastic farrier back :partytime: I lost him last year when I moved farms, as his wife nearly died whilst giving birth, so he kinda disappeared off the radar (understandably). Found another farrier, but wasn't overly impressed. Blue has developed a split down one of his hooves (which he has never had before), and also she has been a bit rough with him at times (elbowing him in his ribs etc). Anyway, I was chatting to the lady who works for the farm turning out etc, and it turns out that Gareth does her horse :biggrin: Phoned him tonight and he is going to take us back on :) Am so pleased, as I really trust Gareth to do a good job. He's not reliable, but as he is doing the lady who works at the farm's horse, I don't have to worry about what time he arrives, as she will be there anyway, it costs me £1 for them to hold Blue, but money well spent if I can get my fab farrier back :)

Glad Monty is back on form :flowers:

We've been so lucky with the weather so far (grabbing all available wood)!

Good news about the farrier Gooster, £1 for farrier assist??!! Its £10 an hour for us, and my farrier can take upto two hours with Loki's complicated feet :laugh:

I think maybe the chiro has done something :unsure: He is feeling much stronger and this morning I increased his int training to a level he struggled with a month ago and he did it very easy (same can't be said for rider :D ) and his respiratory rates were lower than they have been doing easier stuff previous.

Can't decide what to do this weekend, I would like to take him for a decent hack with some hill work, as can't do that from our yard, my only option is an outdoor centre that has good hills but it gets very busy with families, dog walkers and mountain bikers and even the lady I spoke to about the permit warned me about the bikers and that they tend to take over the (small) horsebox parking area, so have visions of coming back from a long ride to find we can't get the trailer out of the car park (and I will worry about that all the way round :rolleyes: ) I've never ridden there, as its so busy and tight to get trailer in and out, so not sure how the ground is or what work we will be able to do and with all this rain may be quite boggy.

Or I could take him to some all weather gallops from what I can remember they are flat so no hill work, but they are on an oval so would be good for some interval training, but thats not a long hack with hills :wacko:

What would you do?

Yeah its the Look Out, its £6 which I thought quite good value. Was planning on getting there and ready to go by 8am and he'll only be up to around 2hrs so hoping would get away before it gets too manic :unsure: oh and hopefully before anyone is on the zip wire :laugh:

All weather gallops are at a racing yard in Bramshill, definately one to put on your list once Milo is back up and running :biggrin: How much longer before you can walk him?

Wow! £6?! I was honestly expecting you to say £15-£20 plus!! Thats very good. Im sure you'll be fine Clare. When Santa buys me a horse box (I wish) I'll come riding with you :biggrin:

I can ride again next Friday/Saturday :biggrin: Wahooooooooooo. Then we're on to a months walking - starting at 15/20 minutes and building up to an hour. Then the vets coming back out.

I was honestly expecting that without any work Milo would turn into a rude/bulshy cob with way too much pent up energy. I can honestly say he's been a dream. Bearing in mind the last time I rode him was the 7th of November and hes done nothing since hes been an absoloute dream, he hasnt put a foot out of place. I love my pony :wub: I think moving to this new place and having a clear routine and a lovely big cosy stable has really helped. He's also stayed a nice weight - I was expecting him to balloon but he doesnt look bad at all. Ive cut his feed down to a scoop of chaff and a cup full of his balancer in each feed, the only reason Ive got the chaff is to disguise his joiny supplement! I was thinking id have to start soaking his hay but I dont think there will be any need :) Also spoke to the vets yesterday, all my insurance paperwork was sent off last week. The total bill for EVERYTHING came to just less than £800 which I thought was very good - bearing in mind he had 4 visits, 8 xrays, nerve blocks and then the injections. And that total includes the joint supplement which is nearly £100 plus all the sedatives, bandages etc he used.

Also had a bit of a shock with his feet last week when we had the farrier. He'd gone 6 weeks again (as per usual) but this time the farrier cut about 2cm of hoof off the bottom :ohmy: Im not sure if his new balancer has got hoof-growing-stuff in it or whether its just because hes gone onto good grazing etc but ive never seen his feet like it. The farrier said in the summer I might have to go 4 or 5 weeks otherwise he'll be walking on stilts :laugh:

A friend of mine who gave up horses years ago moved house recently and sorted out some of her horsey stuff for me. She brought it round tonight - one of the items is an 'armadillo magentic therapy rug' that still retails at £175 :ohmy: Its got 10 moveable magnets on the inside of it and you can use it for injury recovery or just for travelling, warming up or cooling down after exercise. The instructions say it can only be left on for the very maximum of 4 hours a day so I think its pretty strong :unsure: Does anyone else use magnetic stuff?