UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Hello everyone,

Just a quick update and a piccy!

Everything is going hunky-dory, been out for several long hacks investigatiing the woods together in the last few days.

I was in Switzerland Skiing with the family last week so the YO kindly looked after him for me. She had a lesson on him and shes now asked if she can continue to have lessons on him because she enjoyed him so much!

Heres a pick from when we returned from our hack yesterday:

SP_A0052.jpg[/img]

Sam

Sam he really is just :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: Am so pleased for you both!

Do what you feel you need to do Clare :flowers: Lovely email from your YO, it makes a difference when you know that people really care about you and your horse.

Cornish has to go to hospital for diagnostics and who knows what else. He's such a good natured boy and so accepting, I hang off his neck at night. I will feel awful taking him on a trip to something very unpleasant :( :( :( It's only a short distance away but feel really upset :mecry:

Cornish has to go to hospital for diagnostics and who knows what else. He's such a good natured boy and so accepting, I hang off his neck at night. I will feel awful taking him on a trip to something very unpleasant :( :( :( It's only a short distance away but feel really upset :mecry:

Good luck, I will be thinking positive thoughts for you and Cornish :flowers:

I would say that moving would be the right thing to to TBH Claire. Where I used to be, there were no facilities, but it was cheap! It is a strain where Blue is now, but he is much happier! Last winter he was a hat rack as there was just nothing for him to eat, but he has turned into a little happy barrel on this farm and is now on a dietrolleyes.gif

Group_Hug_Emoticon.gif to Cornish - hope he is okflowers.gif

Blue has been in the bad books the last couple of days. I had a lesson on him on Sunday, and he was so naughty, just spooking at everything and being nappy. Needless to say after he nearly binned me off 3 times, we didn't brave a canter again!! When I went to the farm on Tuesday night, I was picking his feet out, and noticed his hind right hoof was quite warm when compared to the others. He wasn't lame, but I wasn't happy with it. I asked one of the other liveries what she thought, so she suggested I give him a run in the menage to see if he was lame in the trot, which he wasn't. She did comment though that he was looking a bit chunky, so he has now been put back onto hay instead of haylage and cut his alfa A down! Last thing I need is him to get lami!

He also had his McTimoney lady out to him today, who is really pleased with how he is, and doesn't need to see him for 3 months. She did suggest after she treated him today that I chuck him out in the field for a couple of hours. As there was noone else out, I decided to chuck him out and sit on a wall with him so he didn't freak out! As I was walking up the hill to the field (and had thankfully taken his headcollar off), my wellies got stuck in the mud and I fell flat on my bum. I then found a wall to sit on whilst he ran around and munched grass etc. After about 30 mins, he cantered off down the field, so I assumed he had gone to the gate, so walked back to the gate, but he wasn't there. However the field he was in was huge, so I just guessed he had disappeared down the dip for a roll or something, and went to do my mucking out. It wasn't till another livery came up chatting and I mentioned that he was in the field, that she said he had escaped and was galloping round the summer field! rolleyes.gif Naughty boy!!!

Norty Blue :laugh: :wub: Great news the McT lady was pleased with him :)

How is Cornish Reds?

I am a bit like this :wacko: My regular Physio came out on Saturday, he has been very hard to get an appointment with so he hasn't actually seen him since all these issues started.

He was not happy with him at all, very sore in off shoulder and neck so much so that the normally mild mannered Loki was trying to headbutt him out of the stable everytime he tried to work in that area :huh:

He is still slightly lame on a circle and he said he could see it on a straight line too. He also cast a large amount of doubt on the farrier I am now using, and I had a good feel around his hooves this morning and I have a feeling this are splaying again, either way the clenches on both front feet have risen which I presume is not a good sign.

Scuse me a moment .........AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH phew thats better :rolleyes:

I have just got an email repsonse from my farrier who used to shoe him at WEC, he will try and help, I just need to give him a call to discuss logistics and price (he is normally about £100 a set in his area :ohmy:) but small price to pay if he fixes him. I am going to try and arrange an appointment at WEC so he can give his opinion and hopefully shoe him, then if we see improvement I guess I will have to move him there so he can continue to shoe him.

Just agreed this with my vet, and he said otherwise we nerveblock and xray again to see if anything has developed since the last xrays :(

I am starting to panic that this is going to be a serious issue and my boy will never be right again :mecry:

Clare now BREATHE and CALM THOUGHTS! Ok so he had a hooley t'other week possibly with a fall included so he is going to be sore! When and if he fell he could have done a big base over apex and really twisted himself, you will never know but the possibility is there. His feet have always been an issue if they are not right so a few not so good shoeings down the line and the splaying are going to have a knock on effect. The lameness could be the shoeing, the fall or a bit of both. I would imagine he is having some time off which will give you the opportunity to sort his feet out then re-assess.

I'm sure he will come right, he's just a high management bloke!

YO Sam's Obe had another go at killing himself, she was putting Wanda and him in the turnout when Obe decided to leg it up the slope to the barn. When he takes off there is just no stopping him so she had to let go and as he was between the muck heap and a fence she thought he would be ok. Not Obe, he ran up the muck heap, tried to jump into the turnout, decided that it was not a good idea and turned round then just fell backwards into the heap and as it's soft he was stuck on his back with his feet in the air and he could not move! Cue major panic, Sam rang OH who dashed up to the yard and they dug out at the side of the recumbent Obe and managed to haul him over whereupon he stood up, shook himself and trundled off into the turnout, kissed Wanda and started stuffing himself with haylage. Fortunately the physio was due the same day and although he is fairly broken it will fix, the major worry is that he is 12 weeks post kissing spines surgery! What a crazy horse he is!

Oh no Obie, you are one of the few horses that make Loki seem not so bad :laugh: Keeping everything crossed no long term damage has been done :flowers:

I am feeling much calmer today :blush02: We are taking Loki to WEC on Friday to meet the farrier and get his assesment on his feet, I trust his judgement 100% and feel much better now we have a plan.

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Sorry everyone - need to rant!!

I had a farrier come out today, which is the first time Earl has been shod since he arrived and also my first personal experience with a farrier.

He arrived early (!!!) and was a really really nice bloke. He asked about Earl and I told him he was on loan to me from a friend etc etc.

Earls front feet are very flat and wide, so his 'real mum' told me to make sure the farrier didn't leave the toes too long on his shoes because he trips up. So I told him this and he got to work.

I was there the whole time watching and chatting to him. At the end he told me he's put normal shoes on his back feet, but had put natural balancers on his front feet. His reason was that because his front feet are like soup dishes, earl had no front clips on his previous shoes and the shoe was pushed under to try and encourage the foot to grow more upright, and thats basically what NB shoes do but theyre specifically made for that reason.

So I texted earls 'real mum' and told her that he was really well behaved for the farrier and that he had put NB shoes on his front feet. I then got this really rude email basically saying "I need to be up front with you - if youre going to make drastic changes like that can you run it past me first" because Earl has always been fine with normal shoes. I then explained to her that I didn't make any judgements - I told the farrier what she had told me and he made his own decision. He didn't consult with me first but his decision was obviously well thought out because the NB shoes seem to encourage what Earl's feet need. She then totally changed her tune and said she liked the fact that the farrier had questioned his shoes and that I "wasnt to blame because I wasnt to know" and that "its not the end of the world".

So, thats my drama of the day. What annoys me so much is that im down the yard day and night looking after Earl, spending my hard earned money trying to keep him happy and well and she hasn't been to visit him once since he arrived on the 2nd of January, and she only lives 20 minutes up the road.

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Sorry everyone - need to rant!!

I had a farrier come out today, which is the first time Earl has been shod since he arrived and also my first personal experience with a farrier.

He arrived early (!!!) and was a really really nice bloke. He asked about Earl and I told him he was on loan to me from a friend etc etc.

Earls front feet are very flat and wide, so his 'real mum' told me to make sure the farrier didn't leave the toes too long on his shoes because he trips up. So I told him this and he got to work.

I was there the whole time watching and chatting to him. At the end he told me he's put normal shoes on his back feet, but had put natural balancers on his front feet. His reason was that because his front feet are like soup dishes, earl had no front clips on his previous shoes and the shoe was pushed under to try and encourage the foot to grow more upright, and thats basically what NB shoes do but theyre specifically made for that reason.

So I texted earls 'real mum' and told her that he was really well behaved for the farrier and that he had put NB shoes on his front feet. I then got this really rude email basically saying "I need to be up front with you - if youre going to make drastic changes like that can you run it past me first" because Earl has always been fine with normal shoes. I then explained to her that I didn't make any judgements - I told the farrier what she had told me and he made his own decision. He didn't consult with me first but his decision was obviously well thought out because the NB shoes seem to encourage what Earl's feet need. She then totally changed her tune and said she liked the fact that the farrier had questioned his shoes and that I "wasnt to blame because I wasnt to know" and that "its not the end of the world".

So, thats my drama of the day. What annoys me so much is that im down the yard day and night looking after Earl, spending my hard earned money trying to keep him happy and well and she hasn't been to visit him once since he arrived on the 2nd of January, and she only lives 20 minutes up the road.

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Glad everyone's horses are more or less ok, dramas permitting!!

Cabbagepatch - natural balance shoes are great and your farrier sounds really good. Stuff his owner - she's being stupid!!

Jayne, have you ridden 'spritiful' Blue again? :wub: Does it make any difference if he's been turned out before you ride or is he just a lovable cheeky boy? How is Blue's girlfriend doing?

Clare - thanks for the common sense reminder about Cornish's travelling :flowers: Glad you're feeling brighter and have the farrier visit soon. £100 is definitely :ohmy: I pay £95 for both to be done so know it's a good pinch out of the purse but so very very very worth it!

Cabbagepatch, Earl's Mum will have just been worrying about him but she clearly trusts you and so she should!! (doesn't stop it being rude though :GroupHug: )

Hope Obe got up to no more antics and allows himself some peaceful recovery time.

I've been a complete worrywart since my last post, not knowing what to do for the best, worrying about everything. I didn't make a decision until I'd spoken to Donald which I did today and I think I've come out the other side of the worry tunnel! There's no more smell and C seems to be as he was before and quite happy so I've decided to get his teeth done and leave scoping and x-rays until he shows any sign of deteriorating. Donald was a complete comfort (such a lovely man!) and told me about his own experiences and that if he was his he wouldn't put him through it based on what I'd told him but he had no objection if I wanted to go ahead and he wouldn't stop me. He really cares about C :)

Basically the vet was talking about possible secondary sinusitis but with the tie-back ops it all gets unclear as to what might be causing what, hence the tests. If it is 2ndry sinusitis then the treatment is the drilling of a hole in the head with no guarantee of long-term success so as long as Cornish is well I'm not going to rush into anything. Riding tomorrow :biggrin: :biggrin:

Had a wonderful ride :biggrin: :biggrin:

They've opened up the bypass so my old favourite hacking route is back, all be it via a new road system. I hadn't realised they were opening it up and I didn't think we'd be able to get up there again so with the sunshine it was a real treat.

Look at that blue sky!

feb.jpg

My Dad called in so I asked him to take a picture (of Cornish) and this was the most flattering - it was this or a nice image of me mounted doing the girth up :laugh:

feb.jpg

Just realised how few photos there have been in this thread recently..........so I thought I would kick us off with a couple of our horses.

Pablo, was clipped a couple of weeks ago. He has gained a bit of weight since we moved here

DSC_0017.jpg

Lauren jumping Welina, excuse the position, she had a the dressage saddle on :rolleyes:

DSC_0052.jpg

and me "jumping" Pablo. I don't do it often, occasionally if there is a small fence up confidence will get the better of me :laugh:

DSC_0060.jpg

No photos for ages then Red and I posted some at the same time :laugh: