UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Oh good grief... Dave... erm well its marginally better than Gold Kitten.

Hmm, well so you're not too disappointed at losing the gold theme why not go for Dazzling Dave :laugh:

Edited to say, sorry pics of Annie are a bit carp but i only had my old little digital camera. Must get around to 'borrowing' my daughters much posher one!

Edited by collies r best

Wanda is weird, we have been using the inhaler on her, it's a pediatric oxygen mask over one nostril, then a plastic spacer thing and then the inhaler puffed in the other end and she just she loves it! Kim wouldn't even have the mask anywhere near her and had an absolute fit when the inhaler went off. Wanda just stands there and sucks it in quite happily, has a good old snort then says, 'do it again mum'. Does make life easier though, I would find a drama queen hard to put up with.!

Wanda is weird, we have been using the inhaler on her, it's a pediatric oxygen mask over one nostril, then a plastic spacer thing and then the inhaler puffed in the other end and she just she loves it! Kim wouldn't even have the mask anywhere near her and had an absolute fit when the inhaler went off. Wanda just stands there and sucks it in quite happily, has a good old snort then says, 'do it again mum'. Does make life easier though, I would find a drama queen hard to put up with.!

I think that's probably a sign that it is the right thing for Wanda.

Annie :wub: I love Arabs but the last time I rode one the speed only went in one direction, I still can't remember how we stopped :laugh: Hence I am chicken!

Wanda :rolleyes: :laugh:

Last bandage change for Duke (hopefully) so I am having a mini party, that was most definitely not fun and the aches prove it. There was no more drainage other than the small amount the vet got out and he's sound again now so only a few more days box rest. Not sure whether to try plugging the two 'holes' with cotton wool when he goes out though? :unsure: I always worry I won't get it all out again :wacko:

Aww Wanda :wub:

Fingers crossed Duke's foot is all better now :flowers:

Annie is lovely :wub:

I had a very special day today. After years of always wanting to (gawd knows why :rolleyes: ) I did a one day event, and what made it even more special it was on my special boy who almost three years to the day had barely had been broken in and I could never see him being brave enough to go to a show :wub:

He took it all in his stide, he ate yummy grass, got tacked up, went and did stuff, then came back and did it all over again :laugh:

Dressage felt awful, he was very strong and wobbly but I have to say coped a lot better with the white gate things marketing the arena than I thought he would! I was chuffed with 64.5% :biggrin:

Showjumping was not my greatest moment :huh: I managed to almost take the wrong course, I still don't know how, as the next fence was in front of one I had just jumped :wacko: I didn't approach the first fence very well after a bit of spooking at the spectators, and he had that, and after landing over the second last fence he went disunited but had locked onto the last fence and I couldn't get him back to sort his legs out so we had that, but I was really pleased with the way he jumped, and I need to walk the course better :rolleyes:

XC was awsome :biggrin: We flew round clear and he really didn't hesitate at anything, just waiting for the scores to go online to see what my time was as there was no point in hanging round until the end at there was 58 in my class and knew we wouldn't be placed.

Video here

(and yes it has been a long day and I can not longer spell prelim :rolleyes: :laugh: )

Only one pic but I will post a link when the pics go on the photographers site as there are some really nice ones and I can't decided on my favourite!

Muchos.JPG

Hey well done Clare, he has come on yet again and looks fantastic. Just a comment in the dressage, maybe a bit more contact, he is offering and looking for it. Free walk looked really good. Showjumping was brill and the end of the XC looked so flippin professional! You must be so proud of him and yourself!

Have some flowers and don't let Loki eat them! :flowers:

I know, my contact continues to plague me, it felt like he was strong and I had a handful but the video tells me a different story :rolleyes:

I emailed the venue to ask for my time on the xc they emailed back and said well done you came 2nd :ohmy: :circle:

Last bandage change for Duke (hopefully) so I am having a mini party, that was most definitely not fun and the aches prove it. There was no more drainage other than the small amount the vet got out and he's sound again now so only a few more days box rest. Not sure whether to try plugging the two 'holes' with cotton wool when he goes out though? :unsure: I always worry I won't get it all out again :wacko:

Hope Dukes foot continues to improve. I'd not use Cotton wool to pack it as you can get bits in it. I pack mine with strips of poultice or lint cloth soaked in hibiscrub. I also use some pretty potent foot stuff that is for sheep :rolleyes: its comes from the agricultural merchants and its great, I can't think what its called for the life of me though... but hibiscrub works just as well. :D

I have sold Feniks :mecry:

The reason for buying Pablo, Steve's horse, was to take the pressure off of Feniks being used for 3 riders. However, Pablo doesn't enjoy jumping in the school, so whenever they wanted to jump they would use Feniks. Now he is 18, and seems to be stiff more and more in the mornings after a jumping session.

Steve did talk about selling Pablo to get another horse for him and Lauren to ride but on Saturday, I decided that it would be better to let Feniks go and me to have Pablo. Feniks has taught me all he can, including the confidence I now have. Now he can go on and teach someone else before he is too old. One of the women at the stables here always said that if I ever wanted to sell Feniks, she would have him. Her husband has ridden him a couple of times and he is an absolute beginner. She never thought in a million years that I would want to..........hell I never thought in a million years I would want to sell Feniks. The deal was though, if Lorraine didn't buy him, he was not going to be sold.

She is having a vet check on him tomorrow, just heart and lungs.

I have been on one huge emotional rollercoaster the whole weekend, but am now looking forward to be taught more by Pablo. Need to look for lots of buttons to make him work first though :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...

Throughly fed up! It was lovely this morning and I had my lesson booked for 2.30 this afternoon.

1.45 the heavens opened and we had torrential rain here. Followed by some lightning, so I rang Catherine and we re-arranged for next week.

I was really looking forward to doing the 'trail' exercises we started last week and had been practising all week. POOH!

I swear I saw Lady T in the field with a rain stick!

On another note, if I can persuade Lindsey to come over soon and check out the superdooper bridle path again with me, would anyone local'ish to Northants be interested in a 'Hooves & Boots' ride?

It was raining today, kind of heavy but don't be a fair weather rider I said to myself and rode Wanda for 40 minutes in the arena. She set off rather explosive, tail over back and airs above ground stuff, I didn't know rain was so exciting! :laugh: She settled after a while and did some nice work but were we ever wet, and I was riding in a fleece which became more than a tad heavy. Put Wanda in with rug on to dry off and retreated to the tack room to attempt to dry myself off a bit, unsuccessfully I may add. YO arrived and we fed and turned out, not nice with johds sticking to me and walking like a duck.

Fleece hanging up with water running from it, tack wet through, Wanda's boots wet and covered in arena surface and then what happens?

IT DAMN WELL STOPPED RAINING AND THE SUN CAME OUT!

Got home and was peeling off wet layers and OH says 'how come you're so wet'! Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!!!

Ouch!!! Glad they were both ok though - story could have ended up so much worse!

Can't hack Blue out at the moment, as in the course of being a big bully in the field, he had been booted right where his noseband on his bridle sits, leaving a lovely deep cut :rolleyes: As he is hacked out in his myler combination bit, I can't take the noseband off, so he's having a fair bit of schooling at the moment in preparation for our first dressage outing in over a year!!! We are (hopefully) doing P14 and N34 - there are only 2 tests, and I am not getting bathed and plaited for 1 test!!! Novice test looks a bit fiddly, but hopefully if I get a decent caller, and plenty of time to learn the test, I should be ok!!!