UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH! :mecry: Wanda has a virus, rode yesterday and she was a bit reluctant but came good in the end, today she was awful, really lethargic and just off. Peered up her nose as I didn't think her breathing was just right and she's going snotty. Her coat has gone a bit starey too and as both Obe and Kim have had a virus resulting in through the floor white blood cell counts Wanda is officially sick noted. The vet is dropping her some antibiotics off so hopefully this will catch it quickly. Kim got it first and was really bad, Obe was next and wasn't anyhere near as bad so with a bit of luck Wanda may only have a very mild problem.

First competition for over a year down the pan, but that's just tough, poor Wanda is the one that matters. Vet says she's best off out but the weather is crap, it's like the middle of winter and I can't see that her standing under a tree for hours in pouring rain and a howling gale is going to be helpful. If it's still bad later I'll have her in for the night.

Clare, what great pictures, really nice to see the boy in action again!

:GroupHug: Get well soon Wanda :GroupHug:

I am a bit like this :boldred: at the moment.

Following on from our great lesson on Friday, Her Ladyship and I tacked up and entered the Wiccaweys Schooling Area for Overweight Horses and Riders (read as my newly reclaimed oblong area - one woman, a push-along petrol mower and sheer determination!)

This was a huge thing for me to do (and I feel like a plonker saying this in here) as I haven't been able to do any riding 'alone' since the confidence left home and flew to Mars.

Groundwork, yes. Riding, ohhhh no, not without company and a safety net.

I couldn't believe it. The Queen Bee was as good as gold! She's always good and kind, but Lindsey, even more amazing - she 'worked', and she worked properly - without bribery, corruption or any donuts being harmed during the course of the session! I didn't know whether to laugh, cry, jump up and down, or just whoop with delight when we'd finished - so I ended up doing all of them - mostly crying though.

We did all the exercises that we did on Friday with Catherine, and Lady T was just a total star. She had her head down(?) like you and Catherine talk about Lindsey, and was fab.

She was doing all the flection exercises brilliantly and all the other exercises too. I was so proud of her, for doing that for me.

It sounds so minor writing it here, so basic, but I am just over the moon and so thrilled with T and myself. We were both all ready to do the same again today, but then just as I finished dog stuff for the day, the farmer decided to come in with the tractors and was doing stuff in the fields next to us. Tara doesn't like tractors, so I decided to wait until tomorrow. I can't wait!!

Easta is now at stud, so hopefully if all goes to plan we will be earing the trit trot of baby hooves in 11 months time.

:unsure: :rolleyes:

Which I will ensure I keep far away from Ms Wiccs :laugh: :laugh: :wink:

If its a boy, please can you call him Dave? :unsure:

Thank you :laugh:

Oh good grief... Dave... erm well its marginally better than Gold Kitten.

I'm going over tonight so will try and get some photos of MsB. Apparently it was all action last night so we'll see what today entails and then get her books for her scan in 15 days.

I'd forgotten how stressful this whole thing is! :rolleyes: :laugh:

Ooooh how exciting Sarah!!!

:GroupHug: to poorly Wanda.

:biggrin: :biggrin: for Sarah wiccs for your alone riding!!! It's a great feeling when they really work for you and do well without anyone telling you what to do and when :biggrin:

Well, for us our 2nd show of the season is done. My plaits were much better, went back to using plaiting bands as opposed to sewing em in and it looked much better!! Our first class was ridden hunter pony, so I had plenty of time to work him in and get him listening to me. He was really good, so much better in his Pelham, and really responsive. Just as the class started it started to rain, and the grass in the ring was really long, so the judge opted not to ask us to do a group canter, which I thought was really sensible. He went really well in the group work, but got bored whilst waiting for the judge to get to us, so he started to fidget. When the judge was talking to us, he started being a bit of a wally, but nothing too bad. His show went ok, again, nice outline, did as I asked etc so I was really pleased with him. We still came in 6th out of 6, but we were up against top show ponies with really experienced showing riders on, so I wasn't really bothered!! Our comments were that I was too quiet with my hands (?) and I looked down to the ground a bit too much, well, that could be because I was trying to make sure my diagonal was right, my reins were ok, there were no puddles for sir spook a lot to spaz at, and ride where he was least likely to slip!! Then we moved onto equitation, which I only entered for the fun of it, it was the novice one, so no cantering. I had to do a quick change into his hanging cheek, work him in with that bit, and then go into the class. Again he worked in nicely, and his group work was nice. Then came our show. He didn't want to walk away from the other horses, and then we trotted back to the judge. We decided to do a figure of eight in trot, but as we crossed the diagonal, he had the world's biggest nappy hissy fit and was chucking his head around and shouting and being a complete muppet. :angry: Needless to say we came last in that class too!! I was really gutted because he was going so well, but because he is a nappy sod, he just lets us down. I have decided that once they start living out (next week - yay!!!), to walk him down to the local school and school him on his own. Normally me and my cousin go and share the cost, but it isn't helping his confidence. Also our school should be finished soon, so I can use that as well on an evening!! Next show is (hopefully) a dressage one in June, but I might not be able to go as my cousin doesn't want to enter, so won't have anyone to hack there with!!

Dave...I'm actually now quite liking Gold Kitten :laugh: I still want to call an animal Pringle though :rolleyes:

Sarah MEGA WELL DONE YOU. That Lady T knows a lot more than she lets on you know :wink:. You should feel rightly proud.

Gooster, good luck with Blue for next time. He might not feel the need to nap at the next venue. Do you fancy WH classes?

As a complete one off I was working from 9 - 9 today. Of course this completely one off day would also be the day my Dad phones to say he is with the vet and Duke has an abscess in his back foot. I am so glad my Dad was there as I wouldn't have been able to get the vet out until tomorrow. I do feel for him though as he must have thought his leg was broken at first. Not exactly the lazy day I thought tomorrow was going to be.

It's been years since I've bandaged feet, one of those things that definitely needs practice! Unfortunately the abscess has 2 tracts and the vet pared right down until the first sign of blood but there was still no pus released. Hence now a wet poutlice and waiting for it to drain. I was just about to shut up the stables as well before the birds started nesting again.

Not a good time to be a patient when there's a lovely green Summer field ripe for chomping.

Still no drainage, vet dug even deeper and got a token amount out this morning, back next week. Had an interesting time changing poultice last night. Each time the vets done it he's sedated Duke first, I really should have twigged it might not be straightforward :rolleyes: . That's my Duke :wub:

Oh poor Duke, hope he feels better soon. :GroupHug:

I've had Wanda's bloods back and they are clear, the vet thinks it may be pollen allergy and in retrospect I'msure he is right. There have been some issues with her breathing at times and in summer she develops a head twitch, only slight but nevertheless it's there. I'm surprised I didn't think of it before really so am beating myself with nettles!

She now has an inhaler, I hope we are more successful with Wanda that with Kim who had a comple hissy fit about it. I don't want to go down the steroids route more than I have to so after the inhaler runs out and if she is then ok I'll then be looking at some Global Herbs type stuff for her. Poor Wanda, sicknoted yet again! :mecry:

:GroupHug: :GroupHug: :GroupHug: to poorly Duke and Wanda

Reds - we don't do jumping really. He was a WHP before I got him, and has a big jump, but a big jump on a spooky horse when you are scared of jumping is not a good combination. Someone more confident would probably be absolutely fine, but jumping just frightens me too much!!

Reds, will Duke let you soak his foot in a tub of warm water. Also dont know if he can walk but a farrier i know swears that getting them moving helps drain abcess. He tells us to bandage and tape so dressing is secure and chuck them out for a few hours!

Just so i can join in the sick horse club Bumble slipped and bashed his hip against the wall a few days ago cue dramatic swelling and john wayne style swagger :rolleyes: Hes been having plenty of tlc and the swellings going down but ruined things when i caught him charging around the field today cos the wind was up his bum!!

Soon i may tell you about my noooo horsey.. a chestnut arab mare :ph34r_anim: :laugh:

Collies, never mind soon, how about NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sounds very...pretty (no stereotyping here :laugh: ).

SPILL!!!

Gooster, keep us updated with the shows, I thought he looked the perfect 'stamp' for a WHP which is why I asked. There'll no doubt be shows where he doesn't nap and then you can just deserts for all your work.

Dukes foot, ummmmmm. Walking much better so obviously in less pain but after the vet paring so much away plus 2 injections and general unpleasantness he now refuses to pick his foot up when I am intending to do anything like, lets see, change the poultice! I've never known him so insistent on keeping his foot glued to the floor and I honestly thought I was going to have to give up and leave it undressed at one point. Much much much much much much much much much heaving and weight bearing (by me!) later and I just about managed it. Right arm is now slightly strained however and back a tad achey :rolleyes: .

The vet said the same collies and that he'd hoped the weight of him standing on it would cause the pus to drain out, but nope. I was going to let him wander and nibble in the yard today but it was a little too wet to risk especially with an 'only just' bandaged foot. Isn't duck tape marvellous by the way :laugh:

Vet back on Tuesday so hopefully we will have good news then, fingers crossed for dry weather!!

Bumble :GroupHug: :wub: :wub: It was probably just the pain and shock making him appear spirited in the field :wink:

Edited by reds

Hopefully some pics of Annie! Shes a 14hh arab approx 18/19yrs old. Very sweet natured not at all mareish even though she kept 'offering' herself to a confused Bumble when she was in season! :laugh: We've had her about 4wks but to be honest i wasnt sure it was going to work out. Annie has been living out for over 3yrs and hated being stabled of a night ,however the last 10 days or so shes really settling down and quite happy to come in of an evening. She really is lovely so i'm hoping we're over the worst of things and shes a stayer!

S4024069.jpg

S4024076.jpg

S4024074.jpg

and one of Bumble

S4020645.jpg