UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Poem

Muriel

Bebe, I think Dr Dodds is a good person to listen to - she's allopathic, does NOT use Homeopathy, but also willing to believe the evidence of her own eyes and the tests, and she says the most that is needed is puppy vaccs and possibly one a year later. She's been researching it for many years. You've done that, and also as your dogs are highly unlikely to meet any infected dogs, I'd think you've done more than enough. Ty has problems enough without adding possible vaccine-related illness.

I take my dogs with vaccines, boosters etc and am seeing things with them all that could be due to them, I'm certainly not going to give them any more now that I'm aware. Keeping your dogs healthy with a good immune system should be all that's needed as protection, especially as they've had the basic shots.

At the end of the day you have to go with your gut, not what other folk say. You know what's right for your dog.

At the end of the day you have to go with your gut, not what other folk say.

I completely disagree, if you are not prepared to consider all the evidence (ie, 'what other folk say') you are not making an informed decision. 'Your gut' instinct will not protect your dog any more than deciding on the toss of a coin or the throw of a dice, BUT weighing up the pros and cons, understanding the percentage risks on both sides for your own dog and your own particular circumstances (including the sort of area you live in) and making an informed decision on that basis, may do.

Before some people assume that I am out to make everyone vaccinate everything, I don't. When my vet and I judge that the risks are low enough relative to the exposure to disease, then my dogs are only vacc'd against lepto, based on their individual known vaccination history and their health. Some of the friends that I most respect as experienced owners don't vaccinate, whereas others that I put in the same category do. What they do all have in common is that they make their decisions based on each dog individually, in conjunction with discussion with their vet, and they make an informed decision based on circumstances. They don't operate blanket decisions in isolation, not do they trust to gut instinct.

You know perfectly well what was meant was not what you say or indeed what I say. Gut instinct is the best guide to just about anything (if you were only brave enough to contact yours :wink: ) In this case, bebe's gut instinct is actually her dog telling her what is needed or not as in this case. From what she has said on here, she has indeed looked at all the evidence, many times.

Gut instinct or whatever you wish to call it is what I use with all my animals and it has always proved itself right. That is why I have chosen not to vaccinate my dogs.

I have looked at both sides of the argument and made my decision on what I feel is best for my dogs, I am perfectly happy with that decision.

I once was very pro vacs and used to criticise people who didn't vaccinate, now I have a completely different opinion on it and know I will not change my mind.

I always say you shouldn't always believe what you are told(particularly by people who have vested interests),I always look beyond their words and deeds, then I make a decision. That's what I call gut instinct :)

You know perfectly well what was meant was not what you say or indeed what I say. Gut instinct is the best guide to just about anything (if you were only brave enough to contact yours :wink: ) In this case, bebe's gut instinct is actually her dog telling her what is needed or not as in this case. From what she has said on here, she has indeed looked at all the evidence, many times.

:flowers: Thanks Muriel. I have looked into it, many many times, when I feel I "ought" to vaccinate, usually after being made to feel unsure or guilty about what Im doing. Every time, I look into it with an open mind, but every time, something makes me reluctant to make that Vets appointment and put my dogs through something that I might live to regret, and they might NOT live to regret :( If thats my gut instinct, then its letting me know loud and clear not to do something just because I think I ought to do it. Ive been in positions where I didnt listen to my gut instinct before, with Ty, and kicked myself afterwards, so this is one time I think I really should follow my heart. Like you said Muriel, Ty has enough problems without me possibly adding to them. She is the most accident-prone dog Ive ever known, shes just not very lucky, if somethings going to happen, it,ll happen to Ty :rolleyes: . Why tempt fate like that!

As for George, his Immune system isnt as good as it could be, hence the mange-mites returning, his severe reaction to Anti-biotics, Pancreatitis etc, so again, I wouldnt want to take a chance with him. But I feel he would have a bad reaction to the vaccine, he was ill after having it when he was young and had a huge sore come up on the site of the injection, and I think he,d be more at risk from the vaccine than he would from catching Parvo. Ive read through most of the links on here, and even though I get twinges of guilt, or start worrying that Im being a negligent owner, Im pretty much convinced Im doing the right thing, so I carry on not vaccinating. :)

Edited by bebe