UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

smelly ears?

Helen

Meg is a staffieX something with long legs, poss whippet/ greyhound, when we got her at about 12 weeks, her ears were manky, and full of dark brown gunk, they smelt bad too, she was scratching them a lot, i cleaned them, and when she went to the vet for her vaccs, got him to check them, he said they were fine, nice and clean etc, no problem.

on and off ever since her ears have had a musky type smell to them, definately not bad smelly like when she first came, its not offensive or innofensive, its just something i can smell on her :unsure: they are clean, and she doesn't scratch or bother with them.

she is now about 6 months, and a few weeks ago, i did wonder if she was deaf, but apparently not, she was speyed on monday, and while under i asked the vet (different one) to look in her ears, and make sure they were clean deep down, they came back all clear, he said no problems, but i can still smell them :unsure:

any idea on how i can combat smelly ears? or what the cause might be?

if there is a reddy waxy build up then it can be caused by ear mites or, and dont get frightened by this as its not that common, a growth or other obstruction inthe ear canal.

dogs ear canals have a bend in them and if there is an obstruction then the airflow to the ear is restricted. this means stuff builds up and infection sets in. thus the smelly stuff.

i would ask your vet to take another look and to look for any narrowing of the ear canal which could be causing the problem.

This is what happened to Dino and despite regular cleaning with LEO it got to the point where he needed a total ear canal ablation. Dinos case was severe though and even so it was treatable.

or it could just be you have a stinky dog :)

thanks Pingu,

both ears are the same, and there is no redish waxy stuff, they are clean, nothing there, they just smell a bit 'different' she is back at the vet again next week for stitch removal, so i'll get them to have another look, and ask again about the smell.

i probably do just have a smelly dog :rolleyes: suppose ear smell is a lot better than rear smell, so thats something to be happy about! :lol: