UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Dog Attacking New Pup

RazorsMum

No not me :laugh:

Am posting on behalf of a mate (no net acsess) who has a 12 yr old entire male Dally X...a 2 yr old Greyhound bitch (spayed) and have just aquired a yorkie puppy 11 week old male.

Now the Dally X male has always been a bit of a bugger with other dogs but accpeted the greyhound perfect into the house.And no problems.

But the little yorkie (unwanted gift of neighbours :rolleyes: ) is another issue...currently having to be kept apart/crated/or the resident male muzzled due to the dally X proper attacking him :(

They thought (we all did) been 11 weeks old dally would be fine with the pup...but it isnt to be.

Just wondering any ideas to help him accept the new arrival?? any thing at all....???

My friends at the end of his tether and dosnt want to rehome any of his dogs at all! :wub:

Would castraion make a diffrence at 12 yr old?

The grey bitch is also seeming upset by the patter of tiny feet and looking very sorry for herself not the usual bouncy girl they know :unsure:

Anyway thats about it...anyone? :wacko:

edited poo spelling

Edited by RazorsMum

Adult male dogs are often simply frightened of puppies - they move differently to grown up dogs, they smell different - a bit liking asking a human being to accept an alien into the family. I can't gaurantee the adult dog will ever tolerate the pup, but making sure they are never alone, that the adult dog gets plenty of praise and reward when the pup is around and the dog is ignoring him etc.

I dont' think castration would make any difference to how he views the newcomer I'm afraid.

Now the Dally X male has always been a bit of a bugger with other dogs but accpeted the greyhound perfect into the house.And no problems.

But the little yorkie (unwanted gift of neighbours :rolleyes: ) is another issue...currently having to be kept apart/crated/or the resident male muzzled due to the dally X proper attacking him :(

They thought (we all did) been 11 weeks old dally would be fine with the pup...but it isnt to be.

The grey bitch is also seeming upset by the patter of tiny feet and looking very sorry for herself not the usual bouncy girl they know :unsure:

To be brutally honest, as the little guy was an unwanted gift originally, and the Dally doesn't want him there and is having to be kept crated or muzzled, and even the Grey bitch is miserable, then probably the best thing all round would be to find a new home/rescue space for the little pup.

You say the Dally is 'proper attacking him' - that's no way for a pup to start its life - already seeing other dogs as a danger and a threat. Damage is being done to him mentally already, let alone physically if the Dally did get hold of him. The Dally could kill the Yorkie pup with one snap of the jaws.

It's doubtful the Dally is going to change his ways now, castration at his age will make no difference to his personality and viewpoint of other dogs. It's ingrained now.

I'm taking that before the pup arrived, the Dally and the Grey ticked along quite happily at home, and it was as harmonious as it ever gets with dogs in the house? If so, there's the answer. Sounds like at the moment, everyone is miserable with the situation.

The most responsible thing to do would be to remove the pup from the situtation and find him another home before a unfortunate slip-up is made and he gets hurt or killed.

Not what you wanted to hear, I know.

To be brutally honest, as the little guy was an unwanted gift originally, and the Dally doesn't want him there and is having to be kept crated or muzzled, and even the Grey bitch is miserable, then probably the best thing all round would be to find a new home/rescue space for the little pup.

You say the Dally is 'proper attacking him' - that's no way for a pup to start its life - already seeing other dogs as a danger and a threat. Damage is being done to him mentally already, let alone physically if the Dally did get hold of him. The Dally could kill the Yorkie pup with one snap of the jaws.

It's doubtful the Dally is going to change his ways now, castration at his age will make no difference to his personality and viewpoint of other dogs. It's ingrained now.

I'm taking that before the pup arrived, the Dally and the Grey ticked along quite happily at home, and it was as harmonious as it ever gets with dogs in the house? If so, there's the answer. Sounds like at the moment, everyone is miserable with the situation.

The most responsible thing to do would be to remove the pup from the situtation and find him another home before a unfortunate slip-up is made and he gets hurt or killed.

Not what you wanted to hear, I know.

The thing is i dont think the family would even consider rehoming him as they've always been yorkie fans and took the little guy to stop him falling into the wrong hands (ie) breeders ect.

My friend has also agreed that the Pup could end up fear agressive due to the early experainces of other dogs :(

But they do want to consider every possiblity...He even said should worst come to the worst they would be seperated permenant but i think this will see that there will always been one dog that feels excluded from the family. So certainly not the ideal situation.

The Grey and the Dally have got along great a few grumble when she first arrived a year ago but nothing seriouse like this :unsure:

Its just so sad because the family like i say have always dreamt of a yorkie and are fabolouse dog owners a lot of love ect when the opptitunity came yes was kinda a rash choice even he agreed... but thinking been a pup that the resident male would accept obviously not :(

I will be speaking with him today on the telephone so will get an update and tell of the views so far..

Many thanks keep them coming :flowers:

I've been in similar situations and the one thing they do have to watch is that they don't upset the harmony between the existing 2 as well, which could so easily happen.

Merlin, my younger dog hates puppies and will do anything to stay away from them, gets on fine with most adult dogs though, Zen on the other hand needs very careful intro to adult dogs but adores having pups around.

Edited by Ingrid

He was worried and thinks the balance between the 2 existing ones could be affected.

Dally has always been a bit of a s**t with other dogs but they fostered a puppy 6 months ago for a local rescue and he took to him PERFECT!!! :unsure:

So they thought this would be same... :(

Sounds like the pup's meant to be somewhere else - when he's in the right home, all will be well, perhaps they were only meant to foster him for a short while. Have to agree, pup's mental health is being damaged where he is. Sounds like sooner the better for everyone. The right Yorkie will come along at the right time.