UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Plt Tablets

taylor

I took Taylor to the vets recently just to be sure she was coping ok on Glucosamine for her joints... she is 10 and doesnt look lame, walks a long way and is a bit stiff in the mornings, she does have mild hip dysplasia .... anyhow the vet started off by giving me rimadyl then on going back to be checked another vet gave me PLT tablets, Im not so sure about these, any experience on opinions ?

• Like 4

Found this

Arthritis and prednoleucotropin

My dog has been diagnosed with arthritis of the knee. The vet prescribed prednoleucotropin tablets. I have been told that they have side effects by a friend.

Are they safe to use? If not what alternatives are there?

PLT tablets (which must be what we are talking about) have been used for the treatment of osteoarthritis in the canine species for years. Recommended dosage is half a tablet for ca 8-kg bodyweight (one tablet for 16-kg etc).

It is recommended that the dog is re-examined after 3 days if there is no improvement and re-examined in any case within the following weeks.

The tablet contains a small amount of prednisolone (a corticosteroid) and cinchophen. As with all steroids there may be significant alteration of fat, carbohydrate, protein and mineral metabolism. Excessive hunger and thirst may be seen. Gastrointestinal ulceration, suppression of the immune system and delayed wound healing may also be seen, but usually only at higher dosages.

An interesting thing to note is that it’s very hard to find any data on cinchophen. But as mentioned, these tablets have been used for years.

All this might sound scary. Please remember that potential side-effects should be looked at in the light of potential benefits.

The alternative is to use a non-steroid anti-inflammatory drug such as Rimadyl or Metacam.

HTH :flowers:

Kazz x

I'm a bit confused about why you took her to the vet when you said she was fine apart from a little early morning stiffness?

There are loads of natural things out there can help if she has any problems and needs more than the Glucosamine.

Both PLT and Rimadyl can have nasty side effects, but your choice.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q...earch&meta=

Personally I'd stick with Glucosamine and perhaps add in Green Lipped Mussel or garlic or one of the other natural ones if she needs more help.

Magnetic collars are great too. Masses of stuff can help, read this thread http://www.rykat.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=14749

Edited by Muriel

Charley was prescribed PLT for her arthritis. She was kept on them for a year. We now know that they screwed her up big time. Her spleen became enlarged, her weigh increased dramatically and she got no benefit at all for her arthritis.

After consulting a new vet we were told PLT are an old drug and are rarely used nowadays.

Charley is now on nothing but glucosamine and is doing very well.

I have used rimadyl but had more success with Metacam, I would never use PLT for any animal again but there are other drugs you can ask for instead of this.

Our springer was on PLT for a year with his arthritis, but when the insurance stopped paying for them, we explored the homeopathic route. We found that he improved a lot more with rhus tox, tabritis and cod liver oil than he ever did on PLT. He died when he was 15, and was on no drugs from the vets at all (which considering he was diagnosed with arthritis when he was 11, isn't bad going) :flowers:

I'm a bit confused about why you took her to the vet when you said she was fine apart from a little early morning stiffness?

There are loads of natural things out there can help if she has any problems and needs more than the Glucosamine.

Both PLT and Rimadyl can have nasty side effects, but your choice.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q...earch&meta=

Personally I'd stick with Glucosamine and perhaps add in Green Lipped Mussel or garlic or one of the other natural ones if she needs more help.

Magnetic collars are great too. Masses of stuff can help, read this thread http://www.rykat.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=14749

Im paranoid !!! she is my first born :biggrin: and I just wanted to be sure she wasnt in pain, she has a bioflow and iv stocked up on both glucosamine, cod liver oil and GLM now ... the idea was just to get some rimadyl to perhaps give her if she becomes extra stiff but the vets sort of ran away with me

Different things suit different dogs and sometimes you get to the point where glucosamine and GLM don't help enough. Lily took metacam and Zubrin with no benefit and rimadyl made her depressed. PLT tablets suited her really well for a couple of years until a major gastric bleed this year - which may or may not have been down to the PLT tablets.

Our pennys on them at the moment, long turm they can cause a lot of damage,

she doing well on them, but shes put on a bit of weight and her appertite has gone through the roof,

she dident respond to any of the other medication they give her, as shes got arthritis and sponduloses,

at the moment were trying accupunche in the hope we can get her off the tablet's full stop,she only has a low dose, so long walks would still take it out of her,

so far shes had accupunche twice and shes doing really well, even did a 2 hour walk up winter hill today,

no stiffness no limping nothing :) .