UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Help Needed Pleaseeeeee

Tia&Tara

wasnt sure where to put this sorry if its in wrong place!

I know you will prob all go mad, but yesterday we got a 14 months old Irish staff! He is lovely and great natured but I have 2 questions

1 - He has lost quite a bit of weight before we got him prob through stress etc so what would be the best thing to do/feed to build him back up as quickly and safely as possible?

2 - He gets on really well with my 2 girls but he keeps trying to mount them when they are playing although he is fine when they are just lounging around the house and out for a walk. How do I teach him NOT to do that? We are basically just taking him off them saying NO and putting him in the crate the only thing is with us aways telling him off tara is getting scared (she doesnt like getting into trouble!)

he really is a wee gem though just need trained etc but he is very loving and just wants love and food and care! :wub:

any help much apprecited if you want any more info please pm me

--------------------

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not up to anyone to go mad.

Build him up slowly food wise. If he's lost weight through stress, it'll probably go back on quite quickly once he's settled. If you know how much he was eating before, then stick to that for the first week or so and see how he goes, then adjust. Do you have the same food? If it's rubbish, change it gradually, but you probably know that if you have 2 other dogs. It's easy to give them too much too soon, been there.........and they end up with a dose of the runs into the bargain. :wink:

As far as the girls are concerned, I'd just tell him no as you are and then once he's away from them, reassure the girls.

Bach Flower Essences could help them all - Star of Bethlehem for trauma, Walnut for change - put 4 drops in the water and let them all have it, it won't do any harm if any of them don't need it, but also put out an untreated bowl so they can choose. From chemist/health food shop.

All the best.

wasnt sure where to put this sorry if its in wrong place!

I know you will prob all go mad, but yesterday we got a 14 months old Irish staff! He is lovely and great natured but I have 2 questions

1 - He has lost quite a bit of weight before we got him prob through stress etc so what would be the best thing to do/feed to build him back up as quickly and safely as possible?

2 - He gets on really well with my 2 girls but he keeps trying to mount them when they are playing although he is fine when they are just lounging around the house and out for a walk. How do I teach him NOT to do that? We are basically just taking him off them saying NO and putting him in the crate the only thing is with us aways telling him off tara is getting scared (she doesnt like getting into trouble!)

he really is a wee gem though just need trained etc but he is very loving and just wants love and food and care! :wub:

any help much apprecited if you want any more info please pm me

--------------------

How old is he? Is he neutered? How long have you had him? Where did you get him , what was the set up? A million questions really. If he is entire, GET HIS NUTS OFF! Ill sort it for you if need be. Do not assume weight loss is is due to stress, he could have/be ill hence why hes been sold on. Saying no to an entire male in the presence of two bitches is not going to stop him doing it!lol

he is 14 months old and we got him on saturday. he is already settling down with the humping.

i thought saying no and stopping him would work, you say while he is in the presence of 2 females it wont work but how do breeders work it then does their dog constantly go around humping the bitches? I would doubt it although i am not in that position so would not know for sure - just a thought. as advised by someone he is getting 100g of pasta with some tuna in sunflower oil as we do not have any of his food and i gave him a small amount of my dog food which went rght through him and the pasta didnt so its looking hopeful. as soon as he gets a bit of weight on i will be taking him to traiing classes so i think that will help wiht the whole respect and obeying factor as he basically just blanks me most of the time at the moment.

we may consider neutering but will give it some time.

Sometimes constant mounting can be seen as a sign of insecurity within a dog. He may be a 'humper' anyway but this behaviour pattern may have gone into overload whilst he's trying to seek re-assurance that it is in charge in his new environment.

One thing to try, and I'm no expert, is to distract his attention as soon as he starts humping or even before if you can catch him just about to hump. Do this with a treat or a fave toy and call him to you (in an excited fashion). Get him to sit if you can whilst you give him the toy/treat. Hopefully this will help instill in him that no humping = reward and humping = nothing. What you are actually doing is rewarding your dog for coming to you on command and not for humping. What you'll be attempting to do is recognize ahead of time the circumstances that usually trigger a humping session, and warding it off before it occurs. At some point, with a bit of patience the dog himself will recognise the event that used to trigger humping, and his new trigger will be to immediately come to you for a game, a toy, or a treat.

Other's here may have other/better ideas :flowers: Good luck.

Are your two girls spayed? If not you are going to have a nightmare once they come into season with an entire dog around :huh: . But I'm guessing you know that already :laugh:

Lastly, a dog that is neutered is less likely to hump, though it's not a given. If he's neutered before puberty ends *I think* the chances are that it will calm him down. Older dogs that hump and are neutered often retain this behaviour trait and you need to work that much harder to sort this issue out :wink: - someone do correct me if this is not the case :flowers:

Hx

PS. any chance of a piccy of your new gorgeous boy :wub: :biggrin:

he is 14 months old and we got him on saturday. he is already settling down with the humping.

i thought saying no and stopping him would work, you say while he is in the presence of 2 females it wont work but how do breeders work it then does their dog constantly go around humping the bitches? I would doubt it although i am not in that position so would not know for sure - just a thought. as advised by someone he is getting 100g of pasta with some tuna in sunflower oil as we do not have any of his food and i gave him a small amount of my dog food which went rght through him and the pasta didnt so its looking hopeful. as soon as he gets a bit of weight on i will be taking him to traiing classes so i think that will help wiht the whole respect and obeying factor as he basically just blanks me most of the time at the moment.

we may consider neutering but will give it some time.

Are you planning on breeding him ?

card thank you for that, god its so obvious but when you are put in the position your mind goes blank! will get a piccy on tonight!

well it is not planned but we may do at some point and also if things dont go as planned with him getting on with my 2 then we may need to sell him in which case it may well be as a stud dog.

with most respect thats not what i asked i simply asked if any of you had any advice on controlling/preventing the above questions given the behaviour at hand not putting him in to get an operation etc

spaying booked for December an dneither due in season until at very least Jan.

thanks

With all due respect Its irrevant wether you asked it or not. Humping leads to questions on neutering and breeding. You have had him two nights now and you mention you may sell him as a stud dog if he doesnt get on with your dogs?! Is he papered?

Ive seen pics of the dog and id suggest a vet trip, hes too underweight. Whoever had him before should be shot.

card thank you for that, god its so obvious but when you are put in the position your mind goes blank! will get a piccy on tonight!

well it is not planned but we may do at some point and also if things dont go as planned with him getting on with my 2 then we may need to sell him in which case it may well be as a stud dog.

with most respect thats not what i asked i simply asked if any of you had any advice on controlling/preventing the above questions given the behaviour at hand not putting him in to get an operation etc

spaying booked for December an dneither due in season until at very least Jan.

thanks

Please, please don't think I'm having a go at you, but take a look on the Staffie x site before you choose not to Neuter him.

Kazz

I obviously can't tell you what to do with your dogs, but I strongly suggest you have him neutered. It is unnsecessary for him to be entire as a pet dog, and it will only increase his stress levels all way around, ie he might have trouble putting weight back on, and he will spend far too much time thinking about humping your girls. He might also develop agression issues, because he would alweays feel he had to keep other males away from "his" ladies. There are other health aspects as well to consider, both for him and your females, and the obvious question to ask: has he got full pedigree + all the needed medical checks, before ever even CONSIDERING breeding him.

Breeding just for fun, or because you think your dog is gorgeous, have no place in this day and age... we all think our dogs are the best out there, but there are simply not homes enough to go round! You only need to have a look in the "poundies" section, to see that all sorts of dogs are dumped, not only mongrels, old or sick dogs, and everyday healthy, young, friendly family dogs are put to sleep, because nobody wants them anymore.

Re the vet trip, I am not as irresponsible as you seem to think. i got him the earliest vet appt as i could which is this evening for a full health check, worming fleas and boosters as well as nutritional advice.

I do know he is underweight otherwise one of my questions would not have been on how best to build him up.

sorry i asked, you obviously would like people to go and deal with things on their own as you do not want to offer any help or advice.

If thats what you think og the breeder please tell him that not me, I am just trying to give this boy a loving warm home and feed him well i didnt think that was so wrong but in your eyes it obviously is.

He is IKC registered and I have his pedigree back to Gt Gt Gt grandparents and if i was the kind of person to breed from a dog just because it looks nice then i would be breeding from my Tia as i think she is stunning but i am not brainless and she is deaf for god sake. give me a bit of credit.

This is going to turn into a slanging match which I didnt want I purely wanted advice based on your knowledge and expertise which I previously said you do not wish to give you would rather get on at me. so feel free to close this topic

I would also thank those for their good helpful replies esp muriel and Tegk68

Thanks

Elaine

sorry i asked, you obviously would like people to go and deal with things on their own as you do not want to offer any help or advice.

This is going to turn into a slanging match which I didnt want I purely wanted advice based on your knowledge and expertise which I previously said you do not wish to give you would rather get on at me. so feel free to close this topic

Thanks

Elaine

you got advice........vet visit and neuter. Both sensible answers to your queries.

is what i asked.

And neutering may well help on both counts. If thats a slanging match in your eyes so be it. Its fact. The dog is too underweight, also fact. YOU should have figured this would happen out before you even thought about getting him or any other dog but clearly you didnt because you would know how to stop it. So irresponsible, yep imho that is. IKC arent exactly wonderful or worth anything in particular. Pedigree either. The fact that breeding is in your mind when you have had him two days is unbelievable. Wake up and listen instead of thinking everyones out to get you and maybe You see that people are helping.

you asked about breeding i tried to give you an answer as i really dont know as yet as you kindly pointed out ive only had him 2 days. how to stop what? the humping? well i told you my methods im using and as i said i am asking as you have more experience than me and may have a trick up your sleeve or something to that effect. if you mean the weight i didnt know he was so thin before we got him the pics i seen he was in good condition.

and to point out i did think that certain people were trying to help and encourage me, others were just trying to make me feel bad and certainly succeeded in doing so.

i have asked for this thread to be deleted.

thanks

Elaine