UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Anal Glands

Jemimap

I think Dylan, my 2 1/2 year old ridgeback, may need his anal glands emptying but i'm not sure.

I noticed last night, as he helpfully shoved his backside in my face cos i was taking up too much of the sofa, that he had a particular smell about his rear end.

We had a dog when i was growing up who had to have his emptied and i recognised the smell.

I googled for symptoms etc BUT he is not licking or scratching his bottom which is what came up as symptoms.

Does he still need them 'sorting out' or, if he's not licking etc are they just particularly pungent at the moment??

Would be grateful for any advice as i have no real experience of this (thankfully)

Sam :flowers:

Mine never need 'done' cos I feed raw chicken wings and it all happens naturally. You could try that and see how he goes.

Unfortunately this doesn't always work - Tigger has been eating chicken wings/BARF for just over a year - since he last had his anal glands emptied - and has just had to have his emptied (two weeks ago) again - he wasn't scooting, scratching or smelling (although I admit, I hadn't put my nose up his bottom :D ) but he had come out in a very nasty rash.

Hope Dylan's OK soon.