UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Online Conflicts

snow

Fantastic post, very enlightening and well written. Im sorry its been plaguerised and no credit given to you for writing it, but great to see it up there and all credit to you for writing such an intelligent and informative article :)

I think we all pick things up wrong and interpret things wrong from time to time, and depending what mood were in when we read it, I know I have anyway, but I try my best not to jump the gun these days as life is too short to fall out over something said on an internet forum :biggrin:

• 3 months later...

Good article, Snow. :) Well, done.

I used to work in an area where common conflicts often escalated into more serious affairs and the consequences then had to be faced - generally from behind bars. There I became aware that many of the people I was dealing with did not know the difference between action and reaction. Certainly not that actions were taken by applying the brain, whereas reactions were driven by the emotions.

We are all powerless over the first thought, which can often be the result of an emotional reaction, but we all have a choice over whether to act on our first thought or replace it with a second, and more rational one.

Reactions, whether online or otherwise, often reveal far more about the person reacting than about what or whom triggered their reaction.

When training, one tutor remarked that there were only three types of people in the world - those that believed in God; those that did not believe in God; and those suffering under the delusion of being God. The latter being both the most dangerous and also the most emotionally vulnerable. Okay, so my training was geared towards dealing with a particular area within society, but egos don't only exist behind bars in real terms. They are just as recognisable on the PC screen as in the school playground or even the world's political stage. :dry: Indeed, you can be sure that when anger is being displayed, in whatever form, the person exhibiting it feels under some type of threat. That can often be identified as a threat to their ego and, thereforre, exposing their vulnerabilities. Pride, or rather false pride, inevitably increases vulnerability. In turn, an increasing sense of vulnerability is more likely to result in a greater liklihood of emotional reactions occuring, rather than a rational action or response.