UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Angels Allergic Reaction

Staffordworld

1st of all before i start Id like the say **sorry** & **T/you** to Denise for putting up with me at 7 am thismorning.

Right, Angel kept me awake all last night, crying and running about. I thought she just had cow bag mood on her though she hasnt done it before. Very tired and eyes half closed i let her out a few times. I didnt put lights on as it hurts my eyes. At 4.30am I managed to nod off for and hour and a half. I woke up went down to let dogs out and found Angel covered from head to paw (every inch of her body) in lumps and bumps **confused** Running round panicking and feeling bad I hadnt noticed last night I phoned Denise **whistle** Opps sorry Denise. I gave her piriton which managed to bring it down about 70% and stop the itching. After doing school run i tooke her to the vets and he was gob smacked at the site of her. He said its a skin allergy which is most comman in horses, Boxer Dogs and sometimes Staffys. Though he said he had never seen a case so bad **boohoo** He asked if I had given her anything and i told him piriton which had gotton it down alot. He then gave her a steroid shot. We went through cjanges of diet, detergants etc... But nothing has changed for Angel (only Kyes diet has changed) One thing I had noticed is that when she is near chilli next doors pup she has come up in a few bumps. I have had chilli all day yesturday and they started coming up slightly, Chilli didnt go home to her bed until 9 pm last night and then Angel had turned out plastered. The vet said it could be something on Chilli that has rubbed off onto Angel to cause a reaction, maybe a detergent they use or something. He advised to keep her away for a while and then see what happens. Other than that he said we may never know what causes it.

Here are some pictures after the piriton had kicked in, it is 70% better here **confused**

01.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

Has anyone else experienced this?

Opps sorry, meant to post this in health section.

Edited by Staffordworld

:ohmy: oh my goodness! Poor Angel and poor you :GroupHug:

I've never seen such a thing. What a fright for you. Wish I could say something constructive but know nothing about allergies I'm afraid :(

Hope she continues to make a good recovery and you find out what's causing it :GroupHug:

Good grief, no wonder she was distressed!

The only similar thing that I've seen is a boxer that we sometimes meet who got stung by a wasp last summer - he came up in lumps and bumps all over his body. A course of antihistamine sorted it out. I don't understand why a single wasp sting will give a reaction all over, but that's all they could put it down to.

Charlie our staffy has something similar but not to that extent. She comes up in insect bite sized lumps all over which are very itchy .Looking at and thinking about it we think may be milk/dairy related.

The steroid shot and piriton should help a lot to settle it.

If u are insured it is possible to see a dermatologist and gert skin allergy tests done if it happens regularly and it is sometimes possible to desensitise a dog to the thing they are allergic to. Before we had any idea what Charlie might be allergic to we were thinking of going down this route but if it is milk like we think it then we wont have to. We would have considered this if it had been grass or dust mite.

Do the neighbours use a certain dog shampoo/washing powder/flea spray etc?

We had to try and think of a possible pattern and anything at all that had changed.

In ht case of allergies tho you don't have to have changed anything, an allergy can occur to anything at any time even if you have been eating/using it etc for years!

Thankyou for the concerns and replys. Just got back in and although it is still there it isnt as bad, the real big ones have come down to a smaller size and it doesnt look as horrific. vet did say it could take several hours for the steriods to fully work. If it hasnt gone by tomorrow or flares up again i will take her back for a skin scrape. Im hoping its a one off and not a costant re acuring thing. I am insured with her and todays cost was £35. I havent put claim in yet as the vet said to leave it to see if she needs more treatment with it tomorrow.

next door does use a different soap powder and stuff and the only thing i can think of is that there pup has that on her fur and from playing with Angel all day it has rubbed into her causing this. I did notice fromt he past when they have spent little time together that Angel would develop the odd lumps on her side. At the time i thought it was ruffled fur from the pups claws or teeth but i realsied now it was lumps. It has to be related to the pup next door as it only happens when with her!! obviously yesturday was the longest and the lumps were alot worse.

Angel isnt 100% though piriton is helping to relief the itching.

I was horrified when I 1st saw her. I hadnt seen it in the night when she was crying and running round as i didnt put the lights on. I feel bad now as I thought she was just playing up :mecry:

Even with the steroid injection charlie's lumps took a few days to go and I think a few took about a week to fully disappear. She had skin scrapings too which not surprisingly showed nothing! She was very good tho and just sat there while the vet did it.

Give her a gently hug from me and :GroupHug: for you.

Does the pup next door wear a flee collar?

No she doesnt, she uses frontline. Mine have never had contact with frontline as they have never had fleas (touchwood)

Sending loads of Reiki.

If you can find out what's actually caused it, Homeopathy is great with allergies. Kinesiology is great at identifying the allergen.

What does Reiki mean? and also what is kineiology?

She has about 4 lumps left and still a little itchy. Given her more piriton so need to wait a couple more days.

Edited by Staffordworld