UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Advice On Metacam

yena

Benji our new doglet as to take Metacam, for his arthritis. I'm giving it to him on a night around 6.30ish. Does anybody know if he would benefit more if I was to give him it on a morning? or does it not matter :unsure: He's a 10 year old very laid back jack russell who spends most of the day asleep in his bed, most of the afternoon asleep in his bed and in the evening he's also asleep in his bed, in fact he spends most of the day asleep :laugh: . He's full run of the garden during the weekdays, should he wish to go out. Friday to Sunday he will have 4 or 5 30mins walks. I would appreciate any advice on Metacam or anybody whose doglet also suffers with arthritis and might have any suggestions at all that might help me or him, thank you. :biggrin:

Whenever you give it, make sure it is given with food as all NSAIDs can irritate the stomach.

I ended up taking my old girl off Meta cam when I realised belatedly that it was doing more harm than good :ohmy:

What worked for my old lady dog was Runaround from Stock Nutrition, which is Green Lipped Mussel, Shark Cartilage, Vitamins C & E. Within 5 days on that, she was trotting a couple of miles, with no trace of a limp, having previously only been able to stagger to the end of the road on very shaky pins, where she was lying down to watch the traffic while on Metacam. She was great on the Runaround for a couple of years.

Then her legs got worse again and I added in Garlic, Greenleaf Tablets from Denes, Osteotrace tablets from ARONHA, got her a magnetic collar, used crystals – Blue Lace Agate to start with, and others, she also had Acupuncture for months, but I eventually stopped that and did acupressure on her myself after having been shown by an Acupuncturist how and where would be most beneficial. These were all added in at various times as the need arose. She also latterly had Reiki which helped enormously and I believe gave her an extra 6 months with me.

There are loads of natural products and therapies out there which I am sure would help enormously. The trick is, as ever, finding the right thing for YOUR dog, which is where your gut comes in – you’ll know what’s right.Homeopathy can also work wonders. Hannah just didn’t want it, she preferred herbs etc. The book which helped me a lot and sent me in various correct directions for Hannah is - Natural Healthcare for Pets by Richard Allport (available from the library). He covers a wide range of natural therapies and is based in Potters Bar, he’s one of the top Natural Vets.

Had I kept Hannah on Metacam, she would have been dead by 12 as the Vet prophesied, but once I changed her to natural treatments she was MUCH happier, healthier, fitter and had a much greater quality of life. She lived to 15 years and 6½ weeks!

Runaround is available from Stock Nutrition www.doghealth.co.uk Phone 08000 744302 They are very helpful.

Denes website is www.denes.com Phone 01273 325364 They also have a range of Factsheets which they will send out free of charge very quickly if you ask. They’re also very helpful.

ARONHA - Phone 01943 862893

I know Glucosamine can be great too.Some other products I believe can be helpful are :

Mobileaze www.aviform.co.uk I know someone who has used this very successfully with her Weimaraners. Cortaflex

Synflex

Ease by Phytopet 01244 813162 email [email protected]

Deer Velvet www.velvetenergy.com

Copper Collars help some dogs, but obviously not at the same time as a magnetic one!

Fish oil can help too.

Vit C

Vit E

Apple Cider vinegar

etc, etc.........

Thanks for all the info. The Dog Trust told me I had to give it with food, with having 4 other dogs I've been giving it on a piece of bread followed by several other pieces, he seems to be fine with that at the moment. I will look at the alternatives, to see if any suit. With him only been with us for a couple of days I'm only a learner :biggrin: so I certainly appreciate the advice been given.