UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Training Advice Please

Laura_E

• 1 month later...

Just got back from the mock test for the bronze award and Tess failed blush02.gif

It's a shame as she is such a lovely dog and gets on brilliantly with other dogs and people, which is what being a good citizen is all about- but despite weeks and weeks of perseverance she just will not stay. I think she has ADHD!

They have advised us to try another 12 weeks of training, but I don't think it will make much difference as she hasn't really progressed from the last course. She would be great at fun agility as she has so much energy and loves being on the go, but we're not allowed to do that until she has past the bronze award, which isn't going to happen......

Laura, give her a week or two's break from training, she may then be better when you restart it. I did this with Tommy as she wasn't making progress, she was so much better after the break.

There is a two week break now as they need to reorganise the groups to see who can move onto silver and who needs to re-do bronze. Only one dog from our entire group past the mock test....not sure what that says really! :unsure:

How have you trained 'stays'?

What does she do to break them?

I have tried the stays with her and most of the time she just starts walking towards me as soon as I step away. On a couple of occassions she has managed to stay for upto 30 seconds, but as soon as another dog or person moves she loses here concentration, even when I reinforce the stay.

There is a two week break now as they need to reorganise the groups to see who can move onto silver and who needs to re-do bronze. Only one dog from our entire group past the mock test....not sure what that says really! :unsure:

I have tried the stays with her and most of the time she just starts walking towards me as soon as I step away. On a couple of occassions she has managed to stay for upto 30 seconds, but as soon as another dog or person moves she loses here concentration, even when I reinforce the stay.

You need to break it down further. Every time she breaks a stay it reinforces breaking.

Start off standing beside her, telling her to stay, but don't move.

Count to ten, then praise her while she is sitting and then give her a release command such 'all done' or 'that'll do '.This is important as if you praise her after she moves, you are praising her for moving. Also, by using a release cue she will learn to wait to be told to move rather than deciding for herself when to move.

If she moves before you reach 'ten' just reposition her, without saying anything, and once she is settled praise her while she is sitting and release. Then try again, but make it easier by counting to five.

If she stays until you count to ten for ten times out of ten- not all at once!- then try counting to fifteen, then twenty etc.

If she won't say with you standing beside her, she is not going to stay when you leave her, so don't try leaving her until she can do a stay with you beside her.

Once she can do that, set her up, tell her to stay and take ONE step to the side, away from her. Count to ten, step back and praise her while she is sitting and release. If she can do that, then continue as before, taking one step to the side and increasing the time.

Once she is staying when you step to side, take ONE step to the front and turn and face her. Count to ten etc as before.

When she can do that take two steps in front and turn to face her.

Gradually build up the distance and the time to what you need.

If at any time she breaks a stay, reposition her, without speaking to her, wait a few seconds and then praise while she is sitting, and release.

Then go back to the stage that she could do and reinforce that again a few times, before again moving on to the next stage.

***Take baby steps so that she always succeeds.That way she will progress

***Always praise her when she is sitting, before giving a release cue.

go somewhere else to do agility..my dog does agility..for fun but she's not done bronze award. She had to do an intermediate obidience type class, not competetive obidience stuff or anything just normal pet stuff, and there was no test it was just a case of the trainer being happy she was safe to be around the other dogs in an agility environment. Some agility classes don't even require you to do this first and they just have a basic agility beginners class. Agility made a huge difference to my dog for giving her a bit of a challenge and a lot of fun. Go for it!