UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Current Fosters - Very Special Rats

I currently have 5 rats who need new homes, from two different situations.

The first story (and probably the most shocking) is that of Mymble and her two sons, who came to me after their owner gave me half a day's notice to come and get them. Unfortunately they were living in diabolical conditions and are all thin. Mymble had been overbred to a massive extent (in fact it is likely she is related to Jinx, a previous foster and MelP's girls that she got from us) after her owners bought her and her brother in the petshop. Sadly Mymble's other kittens were taken off her far too young and given to the petshop - God knows what happened to them but it is unlikely that they survived. The boys we did manage to bring home are also, even more shockingly, seemingly going through drug withdrawal, which gave them their obvious names of Mick (roan) and Keith (hooded). They will remain here until they are fit and healthy enough to home. Mymble is in far better condition (amazing considering!) and will be ready to home within 3 weeks as long as she is not pregnant. Mymble is far more outgoing than the boys, although this may be down to their current condition and what they're going through. The boys are looking for a very understanding home to help them come out of their shell. Mymble, who is much more outgoing, and is looking for a new home with other girls. I am told all of these rats are around a year old (with the boys being younger obviously).

091109fosterboys.jpg

Mick and Keith

091109mummyfoster.jpg

The Mymble

The other story is of two champagne capped does (yet to be named) who were dumped on a lady's doorstep earlier this week in poor conditions. They are undergoing treatment for respiratory problems and will be rehomed once they are fit and healthy. Both are very shy girls under 6 months old by the looks of it. Pics to follow when they come out of hiding!

• 2 weeks later...

Not one enquiry for these gorgeous rats. However, we are putting Mick and Keith's rehoming on hold as their health problems could be permanent. mecry.gif

Good Lord..poor souls,, this is SHOCKING!! they are all soooooooooo lovely and I wish I hadnt looked, we had made the decision of no more and only have one female left..why oh why did I look!!

how old is Mymble

?wub.gif

Edited by greytgirl

flowers.gif not a bad siggy is it biggrin.gif PHWOARRRRRRRRRRRRR ahem anyhoo what is the chances of getting her to me in Wigan or as near as poss? I have been home checked by pet rescue uk? for our original 2 female ratties x As I said we have Ruby here already who is around 17 - 18 months old, so she would make anice companion and we dont ever usually have only the one rat BUT before spotting this we had decided to stop rehoming rats due to short life span and heartache that goes with it BUT I cant resist!! I luffs em and I see she needs a home and I think she would like ours Group_Hug_Emoticon.gif

PS apologies have just spotted at the bottom of your first post the estimated age, sorry wacko.gif

Edited by greytgirl

Yes they do although one is currently being treated for a respiratory infection and they are unlikely to be homed before Xmas because of this (seems to have been a long term chronic problem and has associated loss of weight/condition). It will be a long haul with those two - they want to be friends but are still very frightened, and it's a fine balance when stress can contribute to the health side of things. I would consider splitting them if it meant that the healthy girl could go to a new home, but will only do this if the poorly girl is not going to be homable (because she will stay permanently if that is the case). Ideally she will recover and they will get homed together, although they've been here a couple of weeks and we're still struggling to get any weight on her.

• 1 month later...

I'm sorry to say that it looks like the two remaining foster girls have permanent lung scarring (possibly emphysema I am told, although we will know more after their meds have finished). They will therefore remain with me as long as their QOL allows. I would've loved to have seen them recover well and go into new homes, but I suspect these health issues are the reason they were dumped, rather than the result of being dumped. :GroupHug: